Keep the noise down! Roosters

Moby

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 21, 2009
Hi,

I would like to get a rooster for my flock though am concerned about the noise. I think it would upset the neighbours:rolleyes:. Any suggestions on keeping him quiet? We have 6 Astralorp hens.

Thanks
hmm.png

Hi Moby and welcome to BYC!
Roosters crow. That's what they do best. Really no tried and true methods of keeping them from crowing, short of surgery.
Talk to your neighbors. Some may be totally against a rooster, but there are exceptions and they might surprise you.

Welcome
welcome-byc.gif
to BYC from Arizona!

Some roos are louder than others... I got rid of two LOUD leghorns and my CG Maran and Partridge Cochins still haven't found their voices.... I hope they don't.

Just_Cuz_06.gif

No suggestions from me. The mature cock is a Force of Nature, and trying to control him is generally futile.
If you're gonna get one, you gotta accept that.

My Speckled Sussex seem to be quieter than the others; they just don't have the volume of, say, the Australorps.

Personally, I love to hear crowing, and it does not disturb my sleep. If I were your neighbor, I would tell you I hope you get a rooster because I love to hear them. Lots of folks find that some fresh eggs now and then work very well as a bribe.

I agree, see what they say.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom