Keep the noise down! Roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Moby, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Moby

Moby Hatching

Jun 21, 2009
    Hi,

I would like to get a rooster for my flock though am concerned about the noise. I think it would upset the neighbours:rolleyes:. Any suggestions on keeping him quiet? We have 6 Astralorp hens.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hi Moby and welcome to BYC!
    Roosters crow. That's what they do best. Really no tried and true methods of keeping them from crowing, short of surgery.
    Talk to your neighbors. Some may be totally against a rooster, but there are exceptions and they might surprise you.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Welcome [​IMG] to BYC from Arizona!

Some roos are louder than others... I got rid of two LOUD leghorns and my CG Maran and Partridge Cochins still haven't found their voices.... I hope they don't.

[​IMG]

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    No suggestions from me. The mature cock is a Force of Nature, and trying to control him is generally futile.
    If you're gonna get one, you gotta accept that.

5. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    batams are someone quieter than standards, and are more squeaky, they still crow, but not as big LOL

6. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My Speckled Sussex seem to be quieter than the others; they just don't have the volume of, say, the Australorps.

Personally, I love to hear crowing, and it does not disturb my sleep. If I were your neighbor, I would tell you I hope you get a rooster because I love to hear them. Lots of folks find that some fresh eggs now and then work very well as a bribe.

I agree, see what they say.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2009
  7. chicklips

chicklips Songster

Apr 4, 2009
    St. Johns, MI
    Give them some fresh eggs in return for having to listen to your rooster, it should work.

8. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    usually just one rooster won't be too noisy. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: