Keep them out or bring them in?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Carolyn227, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Carolyn227

Carolyn227 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Chicks are outside. Low is mid-40s tonight. They have a heat lamp on them in their little house. Slight drizzle. They should be pretty well protected, but the area is not free from drafts. Should I keep them out for the night or bring them back inside? And if I keep them out tonight should I bring them in on the night later this week where winds are picking up a little and the temperatures drop into the high 30s? I keep going back and forth on weather to bring them in or not. I'm putting my son to bed and I might bring them in as soon as he's asleep. Chicks are about 5 weeks old.

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    If it were me, I would bring them in. I would be most concerned about the draft. They have a heat lamp to keep them warm, but the draft would be the wild card.

Chris

3. mixitup

mixitup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    I would always bring them in. Mine are in at night-summer or winter.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I would block the draft. I brood my chicks in their coop from day one.I do provide heat. Usually, they feather out faster when living in the elements plus they acclimatize to their environment & seem to be healthier. More room for them to move around & do chicken things scratch & peck even bathes. At 5 weeks they should be pretty much feathered out by now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by