Keep them separated?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Buckhowdy, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Buckhowdy

Buckhowdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    I have eight 10 day old Rhode Island Reds and ten 3 day old Barred Rocks. My brooder is 2 feet by 4 feet. I've got them separated with 1/2 inch hardware cloth dividing the brooder into two compartments. Is this necessary for chicks? When can I pull out the divider? The 3 day old Barred Rocks are really going to town in there scratching up a storm (they crack me up). They make the Reds seem pretty sedate!

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I've had fine luck combining birds of these ages. It's so much easier to do it when they're younger, before they start worrying bout who is the boss of who. I say pull the divider and let them mingle. Your brooder is plenty large enough for now.

3. Buckhowdy

Sep 14, 2014
    Thanks for the tip. I pulled the divider. The gang of eight red chicks rushed the gang of ten black bard rocks. But they were bluffing. Nothing happened, just the normal stuff. I looked in later and some were sleeping together and some where eating together. Peace broke out in the brooder! No problems so far. I seems that the red chicks prefer to eat from the feeder on what was the black chicks side though.

4. abgraves69

abgraves69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2014
    FL
    Your post title reminds me of the Offspring song. Lol

1 person likes this.
  5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

18 chicks in only 8 square feet are going to grow out of their space really, really fast. I'd be working on a bigger brooder asap so things don't become un-peacefull between the age groups lol!

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    2X

7. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    We had some day olds with over a week olds for a short period and it was fine.. but the youngsters outnumbered the older chicks by over 4 to 1. I don't like combining birds unless they are similar size.

8. Buckhowdy

Sep 14, 2014
    This is my first flock. I didn't know they would grow so fast. Okay I've heard 4 square feet per bird in the coop, and 10 square feet per bird in the run but I haven't heard of a figure for birds in the brooder. How much space for a bird on the last day in the brooder (largest chicks in a brooder)? I don't know how big the brooder should be but I was thinking the next one would use one 4X8 sheet of plywood for the floor with 2 foot high walls. Is there a specification for brooder space?

9. Buckhowdy

Sep 14, 2014
    Found this in the brooder pic thread. "I think we need a bigger boat".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by