Keep water from freezing in winter

henpeckedmama

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 9, 2010
Ashland, MA
I'm looking for ideas to keep water from freezing in the winter without using electricity. Also, should I keep the water in the outdoor run? Does anyone have a setup for food and water in the coop? My coop is small, so there isn't much room.

The only way I can think of keeping your water from freezing without electricity, is doing what one of the members here does. She takes her water container in at night, than brings it back out in the morning. I usually keep a heat lamp on mine, but I think I am going to try this instead. Good luck!

During very cold spells (in the teens and below) I trade out waterers - one in the house thawing and one in the coop. Our coop is pretty big but it's insulated, so the temperature in there is at least 10 degrees warmer than the outside temp. This has worked pretty well for us, but with last winter's prolonged very cold temperatures, I did use an extension cord from the house and a heated waterer a few times if I couldn't be around to monitor and change out the others.

My Husband built me a wood insulated box. It has a bottom that is about 4 inches thick and the front has as much on it as possible yet still let the chickens stick their head in to get a drink. The top lifts off. I have a black ribber type bowl ( from TSC) that fits inside. I keep 2 plastic pitchers by my back door, Every morning I fill them up and take fresh water out. Even in the summer, that way they have a bowl of water too, they seem to prefer it to the metal waters I paid so much money for. When I get the wood water holder out of the top of the garage I will Take some pictures and post them.

Back
Top Bottom