Keeping 1 Chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ginjaninja86, Oct 31, 2013.

1. ginjaninja86

ginjaninja86 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    One of my chickens died this morning (RIP Midge), but this means Marnie is now a lonely chicken. At the minute I don't plan on rescuing anymore ex batt hens due to lack of time being spent at home, but I want to do the best thing for Marnie.
    Is it more kind to keep her alone and avoid the stress of being introduced to a new flock if I re-home her, or should I sacrifice the bit of stress so she can eventually be with a big flock?

I'm torn because I just want what's best for her.
    Also, she eats her own eggs so I'm not sure somebody would take her from me if they knew anyway!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  2. brooklynbirds18

brooklynbirds18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2012
    Arizona
    I have the same issue as you. I had an HOA problem and now I only have one chicken and she wasn't given away with her flock because she has a beak problem. I was told that it more or less depends on the personality. I can't say I'm right but my suggestion would be that of she is friendly with you and is close with you she may be able to get by. However if she and your other chicken were pals, it might be the best to get another friend or put her in a new flock. Sorry to hear about your chicken tho :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by