Keeping 8 week olds warm at 33 degrees!

Ours is metal shed also. I put my 4 1/2 week olds out there with temps in the 40s. I made them a huddle box but they never used it. They slept on the roosts like big girls. Now they are going on 7 weeks....

The up top vents should not worry you.
Mine have a 6x8 coop with open soffits. The entire edge both north and south are open up high.

Yes I know that is to many for that coop. Half will be moving to the big house in a month or so. It also has fully open soffits.

"They have vents we put in at the top to allow air circulation, but I also foamed those. Hopefully I've done a good enough job of it!"
You need ventilation all year long, you don't want a sealed up air tight coop.
They will be fine. Have a good nights sleep!

Last edited:
Filling the low open spaces with foam is a good idea to prevent predators and rodents from getting in but I'd take that foam out of the high vents (I presume they are covered with hardware cloth). Those vents are very important, even in winter. At 8 weeks old and 35F, they will be fine. Mine were out at 3 weeks in those temps.

Filling the low open spaces with foam is a good idea to prevent predators and rodents from getting in but I'd take that foam out of the high vents (I presume they are covered with hardware cloth). Those vents are very important, even in winter. At 8 weeks old and 35F, they will be fine. Mine were out at 3 weeks in those temps.
I didn't foam in the vents, just around the holes we cut into the shed to place the vents. They are uncovered and open otherwise :)

how did they fare last night?
We'll I went out at 6:45 this morning and they were all standing there, staring at me as if to say
Um....foods late lady.lol

Attachments

• 20170519_065024.jpg
    20170519_065024.jpg
    599.1 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom