Keeping a convalescing pullet active?

RubyLady

Songster
Jun 21, 2021
One of my 13 week old pullets was scalped. It is a dime-sized wound but clean and I have her in a large dog wire cage in the mudroom so she's safe from the many MANY flies outside. I will keep her inside until it scabs over enough that flies aren't a problem.
But even after it happened, she was fine otherwise - foraging and being with the others. But now that she's inside, she just sits on the floor of this cage all day long. She gets NO activity.
Any suggestions? I'd put some blue on her and send her out for awhile, but for the flies.

OR do you think it's okay to let her heal with liquid bandage on the wound and Hen Healer (like Blu-Kate) over it and be with the others. I have grown hens and 4 more pullets she was hatched with. I'm more concerned about flies than her being pecked as I'm fairly certain it was caused by a new young rooster who is now gone. He was fine with the older hens but yesterday I saw him grab another pullet and nearly rip the back of her neck as well because she didn't know to submit until I intervened.

Advice? Keep her in until it scabs over well is my idea but I'm concerned that she's not getting any physical exercise at all.

Hello! Can you post a pic? I slathered mine with plain antibiotic ointment so the wound was fully covered. Try that and check her when she's perching. I had one of my hens get an injury on her side and she used a dust bath to cover her wound and she healed up without any intervention from me.

I wouldn't use blue kote.

Hello! Can you post a pic? I slathered mine with plain antibiotic ointment so the wound was fully covered. Try that and check her when she's perching. I had one of my hens get an injury on her side and she used a dust bath to cover her wound and she healed up without any intervention from me.
Here is what it looked like Sunday when it happened. And here are today's photos. She doesn't have a perch. She's in a dog kennel we borrowed from our neighbor. I washed it and put Neosporin on it the first day. I put liquid bandage on it the next day. That's pretty much all I've done on vet's advice.

It's just that the flies are terrible outside so it either has to be covered with something so flies won't get at it or she has to stay inside until it's fully scabbed over. But I'm asking about getting her active somehow.

Attachments

• IMG-8553.JPG
    IMG-8553.JPG
    536.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG-8660.JPG
    IMG-8660.JPG
    705.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG-8663.JPG
    IMG-8663.JPG
    507.6 KB · Views: 3
Hi I think it looks really good. Keep covering it with plain Neosporin, I don't see why she can't be outside with everyone else.
Flies. The flies are really bad and I don't want them laying eggs on her head. You can't go into their pen without tons of them rising up off whatever food or poop may be in there although we try to clean it but there's no way to keep up right now.

Is there a good scab on it? Flies would be attaracted to a fresh festering wound
Not yet. It's only been a few days. Until there IS a good scab, I still have my original question: how do I keep a pullet in a cage active?

You can't really keep them active in a small space like that. Can you let her run around on your deck or in a room in your house?
No, unfortunately we don't have any screened in porches or anything like that. And she's not running around my house. I'll never be able to catch her and she'll poop everywhere. Even the mudroom she's in is packed to the gills and a mess. She'd get behind something and we'd never reach her.
Maybe someone who has had a hen in a cage can give me some advice about what they do.

Back
Top Bottom