Keeping a dust bath dry?!

As deep as the chickens want to dig it. :)

Mine start out making shallow scraps and end up with their backs at ground level once they've used the same hole for a while.
Thanks for the input. I put 2 inch pavers in the perimeter so I guess they will just keep scratching deeper. The native ground is clay dirt so not ideal once the dig deeper. Any experience with clay soil?

Have you heard of a mass rocket stove.? I believe that is what they are called. You could run your stove pipe"chimney" under the sand. Have the heat barrel in the coop or run. Sorry to say it but killing 2 birds with one stone. Heating both run and coop. You can find plans by typing it in. One day is like to try to heat a barn using one, without potential of a fire, having fire box outside???
Very easy to build and cheap. Like I said you can see how to build, just look it up on line
Pretty extreme for a chicken dust bath.

I sprinkle DE around the floor of their coop so they can bathe in it.
We JUST started that Deep Litter Method I've read so much about on this Site❤ We added the DE to the Shavings and I'm hoping that will work for us in Central Wisconsin 🤞🤞🤞 Anything outside in our weather gets frozen & snowed on. The Coop on the other hand, is heated w/an UNBELIEVABLE air-exchange system. My husband works in the business of Ventilation & Air Exchange 🤞🤞😉✌ I'm hoping this solves the Dist Bath

Something like a fully closable kid's sandbox works well as long as you remember to close up when it's raining.

View attachment 2433774

We have a turtle too. It is great...unless you forget to cover it when it pours. Then it is a swimming pool of mud. 🙃 I just scoop out as much water as possible and throw in pine shavings to absorb the extra water for a few days, then clean it out and start over. 😉

My husband cut the top edge off an old tire. I put black plastic underneath to keep wetness from seeping up into it, and then added dirt, sand, and wood ash.
He also cut a round piece of wood for a cover. He glued on a bigger round piece of heavy vinyl which hangs over the edge like a skirt. A handle attached on each side makes it easy to take on and off.

I keep a wheelbarrow full of dirt in the garage in the winter to add to it as needed. I also keep one of those under- the- bed long plastic storage containers in the garage (full of dirt), which I can drag outside if need be.

This works well for me. As you can see, it can comfortably fit a 30 pound turkey along with a bantam rooster! I've also witnessed a half dozen chickens in there at the same time!

Attachments

• Snapchat-1931145901.jpg
    Snapchat-1931145901.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom