Keeping a few Cornish hens.................

Pics
The 2nd batch of chicks from my White Plymouth Rock pairing are feathered out and don't sleep under the heat lamp any more. I need to start the rotation in a few weeks. They getting stare crazy. The eggs from this batch were much bigger than the first batch, so I think they are growing faster.

The feather pecking bald red spot on the chick with the long wings are filled in and healed.

DSCN0393.JPG

long tip

Last edited:
Not sure what happened, but the 2nd batch are sick. They were looking fine yesterday when I took their picture. I mentioned that I caught a nasty cold 4 days ago. I did a self covid test after I got sick and it showed no covid. Today, I notice a chick laying down while the others were eating, so when I went to wake him he was barely alive. I scrutinized the rest and took out another one that look sick. I was thinking maybe they were dehydrated from not knowing how to use the water nipple, so I put in the regular type of water dispenser, just in case. The two I took out drank a little water, but they don't look good.

I decided to put one of them down with baking soda and vinegar.............I left the other one alone to see if it gets better. This is my first time dealing with sick chicks. I am trying very hard not to cross contaminate the younger chicks.

In Hawaii there is reported to be a rampant spread of the Omicron covid variant, and the CDC put in a 5 day quarantine for sick people. I feel a whole lot better after 5 days, so I was thinking maybe my test kit doesn't read the Omicron variant?

I don't hear any news about covid infecting live stock, but if it does man kind is in trouble.

Last edited:
I just noticed, one of my Cornish pullets is having a hard time walking, its too fat. Her legs are shaking when she stands up. This must be the one that almost gave me a hernia the other day. I will process this one as soon as I can, maybe tomorrow.
Was she that big?

Not sure what happened, but the 2nd batch are sick. They were looking fine yesterday when I took their picture. I mentioned that I caught a nasty cold 4 days ago. I did a self covid test after I got sick and it showed no covid. Today, I notice a chick laying down while the others were eating, so when I went to wake him he was barely alive. I scrutinized the rest and took out another one that look sick. I was thinking maybe they were dehydrated from not knowing how to use the water nipple, so I put in the regular type of water dispenser, just in case. The two I took out drank a little water, but they don't look good.

I decided to put one of them down with baking soda and vinegar.............I left the other one alone to see if it gets better. This is my first time dealing with sick chicks. I am trying very hard not to cross contaminate the younger chicks.

In Hawaii there is reported to be a rampant spread of the Omicron covid variant, and the CDC put in a 5 day quarantine for sick people. I feel a whole lot better after 5 days, so I was thinking maybe my test kit doesn't read the Omicron variant?
Maybe it’s a respitory thing because my chicks had that and i gave them oxytetracycline and they’re much better. Hope they get Better and good luck!

Maybe it’s a respitory thing because my chicks had that and i gave them oxytetracycline and they’re much better. Hope they get Better and good luck!
Its a chicken antibiotic so I thinks it’s good for many things?

You could be right because the peat is dry and dusty.........

You could be right because the peat is dry and dusty.........
I use straw for my babies, its super low dust and smells pretty nice. mine Are little little tho

Attachments

• C3A67178-6F9B-4E54-8C4E-A9230E9A2764.jpeg
    C3A67178-6F9B-4E54-8C4E-A9230E9A2764.jpeg
    321.7 KB · Views: 6
that should definitely help its helped my previous chickens, GOOD LUCK! Btw ur pfp is fantastical

Back
Top Bottom