Keeping a Red Ranger pair for breeding?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by MossyRockFarm, Aug 7, 2014.

1. MossyRockFarm

MossyRockFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2014
    Hi all, we have kept egg layers for years, but ordered a batch of meat birds(red rangers).. I want to be as self sufficient as possible so have been debating on what to do with my last few chickens.. i have 2 ladies and a roo left and I want to keep at least the roo to breed with our heritage egg layers.. or maybe one of the ladies he already is comfortable with. I have my egg layers and meat birds separate as my wife insists she doesn't want to eat fertilized eggs even though she knows its no different.

Keep a pair, keep all 3, or keep just the roo for breeding with my heritage flock.. Barred Rocks, Buff Orphington, RIR's, and a couple arcana..

It's very cold and snows a lot in Vermont so keeping animals in the winter can be tough, but I have two coops.. hoping I can keep the meat birds coop powered with solar :)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  2. Mtnmomma3

Mtnmomma3 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2013
    Were you able to breed Rangers? I was thinking about it, but one rooster and one hen sounds tricky. Wouldn't the roost pluck all of the hen's feathers out? I've found that most roosters need 10-12 hens to be happy and not injure the girls.

3. MossyRockFarm

Apr 11, 2014
    I tried but the roo had a heart attack one day.. Huge beautiful boy.. Was growing then just fell over dead.. The hens ha e turned out to be good layers.

4. havery

havery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    East Texas
    I have heard of people keeping back Red Rangers to breed, but bear in mind they are a hybrid bird and won't breed true (though I can't imagine the offspring could be small). My thing is, I can't imagine the ridiculous feed bill those rangers would rack up as mature adults. I had 14 that we butchered at 12 weeks and combined with 5 Cornish X, they were eating 15 lbs of feed a day! And that's with moving the tractor to new ground every day for them to forage. Also, there's no way you can expect to keep a single hen and rooster, that rooster would ride her to death especially considering how massive he would be. Honestly, I feel like breeding a flock of straight dual purpose breed would give you better, more consistent outcomes and an overall healthier flock.

5. MossyRockFarm

Apr 11, 2014
    He had 9 hens to choose from, but man did he get big.. Rip big red.

6. Dave C

Dave C Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2015
    Teesdale, Co Durham, UK
    How old was he when he died?

And did you manage to hatch any eggs from him with your heritage breeds ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by