keeping a roo...which color should I pick?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tallyho, Jan 17, 2011.

1. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    I have just a little room and would like to keep a cochin rooster out of my hatches. Which color should I focus on, all things being equal, just in case I want to hatch more babies? Meaning which roo would make the best crosses color-wise. I know conformation is a whole other topic. If I kept two who would be the 2nd choice?

Hens:
    black
    splash
    silver laced

Roos:
    gold laced
    silver laced
    blue
    black

I'm leaning toward the blue but I think he would give me all blue babies no matter which hen I use right?

Thank you for your patience and offering your expertise. I admit I am a dufus when it comes to this.

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Me too, so I would choose by size and temperament; I'd want a large and well-mannered one. Maybe just the one I liked the best.

3. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I'd keep blue and silver laced, then you could do b/b/s and a seperate silver laced pen. If only one, I'd keep the blue, solid birds are MUCH easier to do WELL than patterned birds are. [​IMG]

Oh, and the blue roo will give you black and blue babies with the black hen, blue and splash babies with the splash hen, and impure colors with leakage with the silver laced hen. You have alot more "pure" options if you keep the blue boy.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  4. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    if you have a flock of the same breed but different verities, go with the Cock that has the best type and will improve your hens. I know you probably weren't looking for that. If you didn't care about their quality i would go with 1. Black and 2. Blue

5. tallyho

Aug 24, 2010
    Right now they are all very sweet...cochins, right? Everyone wants tummy rubs and to sit on my legs. The blue and one of the golds are the biggest but the blue has been so slow to feather. The silver's lacing isn't as good as the two gold's yet. The blacks are nice too. Decision, decisions....

6. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    Silver laced, or black.

7. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    I wonder their age..
    Believe me a little time can make a big difference in how they are going to look [​IMG]

8. tallyho

Aug 24, 2010
    They are 2 months right now...a lot will change including temperament. I also have a dumb marans boy and he's outta here. I'm sad to say I already don't like him. I know I won't want to deal with him.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by