Keeping Away Hawks?

my chickens free range I have lost some but that is nature. we have dogs they help some a good shotgun works too .

The thing is though, once they find a food source they're relentless. They got my neighbor's male duck a couple days ago. Yesterday one tried to make an attack on my chickens, it aborted mission for some reason. I'm assuming because it heard the bang from the back door as I was hauling it out there to my chickens. I have wire over the top, but reinforced it yesterday (spent 2 1/2hrs doing so).

The thing is though, once they find a food source they're relentless. They got my neighbor's male duck a couple days ago. Yesterday one tried to make an attack on my chickens, it aborted mission for some reason. I'm assuming because it heard the bang from the back door as I was hauling it out there to my chickens. I have wire over the top, but reinforced it yesterday (spent 2 1/2hrs doing so).

Yes, they are relentless! That is why all my pens are completely covered by at least natural cover. I didn't mention that I have brightly colored wind chimes near the pens that don't have chicken wire over them and near the barn where the free rangers take shelter. It also helps that the Amish are now growing produce all the way around our property so there is someone walking around a lot.

Last edited:
All I can say is "OUCH"! Can't even scare the hawks away, what a shame. No one's attached to any certain wild hawk but we are to our chickens. I love my little Bantams, especially my tiny Frizzle hen called Doodle Bug. She looks like she is running around in droopy PJ's that frizzed in the dryer. She comes running when she hears or sees me, she eats out of my hand and will sit on my leg when I'm sitting down in the yard. I won't let her on my shoulder for reasons you can guess, lol!

I'm in California and we can't catch rain water. While in a drought no one is allowed to buy jugs of water to water their plants. Glad I'm on well water although the county is trying to figure out how to charge for what is used from wells. All about government control. What's happened to our freedom, to be able to protect our pets and livestock from predators, and free use of our land as long as it's not something illegal. Guess everything is illegal except for the illegals. Sorry, got off track.

Now about another kind of bird, Hummingbirds. We have hoards of them that have showed up due to others folks that have stopped feeding them. I've put up another feeder on the other side of the house so the babies can feed and not be chased off by the adults. I'm filling the feeders with sugar water and natural nectar at least twice a week and they are flourishing! First time babies have been hatched on the farm, they usually migrate to breed and nest. The babies look like large bumble bees!

Yet another bird, my little wild Doves. There was just one pair, year after year. Now that I've been giving my chickens free range to roam the farm, spreading out feed in the open as well keeping a feeder full in the chicken house, the Doves have had two successful hatches this year, we now have 8 Doves that feed right at my back door, I see them flying in and out of the chicken yard as well. Wonder how many there will be next year after nesting is done? What wonderful little birds.

God keep our little fowls!

Sue

Last edited:
I bu this from Amazon - Bird Repellent Scare Tape, Repel and get Rid of all Pest Birds From your Garden, Patio & Balcony Today! Effective and Humane Bird Control/Deterrent Device, Works Well with Netting/Spikes 125ft.

We have this holographic tape hanging down from wires running across our pens. Haven't lost any birds since we put it up last year. We "refresh" it occasionally as the tape fades over the summer. .

Hawks have been a real problem for me this summer. A hawk unchecked can take a chicken or other fowl a day. The really bad thing is they will eat their fill leave the carcass 90% in tact to go to waste and only to come back and back repeating this.

You have right to protect your flock however catching them in act is sometimes tuff. If I catch them in the act they get lead poisoning here. If they are in my trees they get near misses to chase them off. Hawks have a healthy fear of humans and dogs. Having either present while my chickens are free ranging is helpful but not full proof.

Fortunately they are only a problem around here late summer thru the fall. Once the leaves drop their preferred meal of rodents a rabbits are much easier for them to acquire.

I keep plenty of roosters on hand during this time of the year to make sure it least one of them is on hawk patrol all the time. Just remember the Hawks are going for your chickens because they are easy targets out in the open. I've read that they make a hawk control call that mimics a dominant hawk every so often but have not looked into that yet. Apparently a Hawks main predator is another more dominant hawk or an eagle.

Giving your chickens plenty of escape shelters is probably the best plan of attack. I have numerous equipment trailers that are parked out in open areas where my girls like to hang out in. The trailers double as shade shelters also. I know these trailers have saved more chickens this summer than I have.

Good luck, remember a hawk or owl won't go under something after a chicken. The need to always be able to fly upwards to escape quickly.

Your article gave me a brain storm, look out now! My little girls hang out under the vehicles parked around the farm, I see them run from one to the other. I think bugs are scarce this time of year especially with the drought. They can have their craws packed with food and still want to look for bugs. I rarely see a cricket or snail/slug or another other bug these days. Every now and the I'll move a pot or recycle bin and find a tater bug, a real chase takes place then, so much fun to watch. Even the shy hens try to get the bug from the other. Well, divide it up girls! I cut up left over melon for them. They LOVE grapes and especially blue berries. I buy in large packs so I can share with them.

I'm going to check into that hawk sounding device you spoke of. Along with the crows that should do it. Our hawks are protected here and no guns can be fired with other farms so close.

just another idea if you are in the country you could have a radio playing outside or building.Also for uncovered pens the big plastic owls will work and aluminum pie pans hanging from a string.I would be careful with having that many crows around they can carry disease that can be passed on to the chickens if they are eating around the chickens.

We had considered several options when looking at air protection. We have a beautiful hawk in our area who patrols regularly. Fortunately, for our babies out neighbor across the road free ranges (she has almost lost one to the hawk, and who knows how many others to it or other predators) and chicken houses down the road draw foxes and/or other critters from us - at least, so far.

I thought I'd string wires across the top of our run but didn't know if that would be adequate to discourage high flyers from my flock. After discounting a chicken wire roof we settled on plastic animal netting designed to keep deer and other wild animals out of your garden. I believe this is similar to what others are using. Easy to set up with zip ties and I've used PVC pipes as supports to keep the net from sagging too much.

Our situation is complicated by the pecan tree around which our runs and yard are built but the tree adds with cover for the birds - It is just a part of my daily routine to pick the branches and limbs out of the net - a pain, but better than losing my birds.

Oh yeah, I love hawks (well, almost any bird) - but if one comes after ANY of my animals - it's gone. If they don't catch me... and if they do, well, I guess I'll pay the band after I dance, but I will protect my own. They used to have some stupid rules like that about gators (and we have some in our neck of the woods) - as long as they stay where they belong, okay, but if one comes into MY yard and threatens mine?

Just sayin'... Hypothetically, of course...

Last edited:
I have used trellis fabric for growing vining crops to cover my fenced in runs. It's even better if you leave it a little slack. If it is too taught, other predators like coons and fox will climb on it and rip holes for entry. Leaving it slack causes them to feel they may be entangled in it. Has worked great all season. Just save a big red-tail tonight in the trees above the run--he just flew off once he realized it wasn't worth the risk of getting tangled up himself.

Back
Top Bottom