Keeping babies out of layer crumbles

newtwinmom

Chirping
7 Years
May 24, 2012
East Texas
I have five babies out with a broody. Today is day five and I'd like to let them out with the other hens. Any tips on how to feed the big girls layer ration but keep it from the babies? I've always free fed with a wall mounted PVC feeder which the chicks have already mastered jumping into.

Fred's Hens

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
When you have a mixed flock it is time to put the layer feed away. Feed everyone Flock Raiser, Gamer bird grower, a high quality Grower, etc. Some feed companies sell an "All Flock" type grower/raiser. Shoot, you can even feed everyone a non-medicated Starter. They'll love it.

Just offer some calcium source, on the side. Only your layers will normally mess with it, as only their bodies crave it.

newtwinmom

Chirping
7 Years
May 24, 2012
East Texas
Really?!? Never thought just to feed everyone starter. Not sure I can get that much starter-I feed coyote creek and layer is the only thing stocked by my distributer. I had to special order my one bag of starter. The higher protein in the starter is ok for the hens?

Last edited:

donrae

Hopelessly Addicted
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Southern Oregon
I feed everyone all-in-one and haven't had problems for 20 years. New chicks, laying hens, roosters...this way I can feed them all and not worry. I just toss a handful of oyster shell in the run every few days. The babies may pick at it but they don't eat enough to matter.

Top Bottom