Keeping bantams for eggs?

The eggs are about half the size of a regular egg, for recipes. (Use two.)

My bantams have just recently started laying. It is fun finding the small eggs. Some bantam breeds go broody a lot, so you might want to research that some before choosing a breed (they don't lay while they are broody).

You can click on the "breeds" link and then select main breeds chart on this website, or you can visit this one:

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html
nice chart

I think they are awesome and I think you could sell a ton of them for specialty devilled eggs and other eggy type appetizers.

I originally thought my bantam hen wasn't worth much. Once she started consistently laying eggs, I thought I might just have to get more. I mainly use the eggs for scrambling at breakfast. It takes more, but they taste just as great.

I like the idea of using them for deviled eggs. Bite sized!!! Great idea.

I'll add a question: those of you who keep bantams for eggs, which breeds are good layers?

I have a little japanese Bantam girl and use her eggs all the time. They taste no different than the big girls so yes you absolutely can use them. I'd just do a 2 for 1 when cooking since they are smaller. My kids also LOVE them hard boiled (more a snack size and cute). Great for little deviled eggs too...look almost fancier since they are so cute and small. My silkies don't lay much bigger but they all get used as the large ones. Although my silkies tend to go broody quite often and for long periods of time my Japanese is not as often.
P1000379.jpg

banties eat less too- and mine are laying machines
I have three banty mixes that lay an egg nearly every day, and they are older too
I have a couple other banties that I still think are good enough layers, and again, they do not cost as much to feed as my big chow hounds

some of my mixes go broody pretty often though, and my silkie is broody in the middle of winter right now

Back
Top Bottom