Keeping bees & chickens in the same space

nicolevg

Songster
May 30, 2021
Tehachapi, CA
I currently have 10 hens. They have their coop and run on one side of our old/vacant horse paddock that's on our 1 acre property. The paddock is probably 20'x30'; the previous owners built it for their single horse. We are currently in the process of adding raised beds to the whole paddock and turning it in to a vegetable and herb garden, which we'll let the chicken forage through periodically. I'm considering venturing out into beekeeping next year as well. We do have bears and mountain lions in the area (amongst many other predators), and have installed a line of electric fence on the top of the paddock fence to deter predators. For this reason, if/when we get our hive, I'd ideally like it to be located in the garden inside the paddock for protection. However, this means the chickens will be relatively close to the beehive, especially if they find their way to the other end of the paddock during their foraging. (I planned on putting the hive at the furthest opposite end of the paddock from the chicken coop).

Is this a recommended lay-out, or should I put the bees somewhere else? Do chickens and bees get along well enough? What if I don't let the chickens forage outside the coop or allow them to do so only when supervised; would this help?

Honestly I'd be more worried about your garden. I'd only let them forage through there when it's time to tear down. Even if the chickens aren't interested in eating the plants, they love digging in garden beds. Probably cause it's easy to get in there and look for bugs. And that'll destroy your plants in a hurry...

I've got plenty of wasps and native bees that hang out in my yard, and I've never seen my chickens pay them much attention. As long as they can't bust into your apiary, your bees should be fine.

I have my bees located right next to my chickens. When they free ranged the hive was In front, slightly off to the right, of their coop. I’ve never had problems with it. I wouldn’t put the bees on the ground, I’d put them higher then the chickens so they can’t try and peck at the front of the hive. Apart from the occasional chicken eating a bee, they’ve never seemed to be bothered by each other. When the bees die the chickens also eat the dead ones, that means I’m less likely to stand on a bee.

I agree with @TheAlrightyGina about your garden. Chickens can destroy your garden. I made the mistake once of putting kale within they’re reach, let’s just say they helped it get ready for winter.

Honestly I'd be more worried about your garden. I'd only let them forage through there when it's time to tear down. Even if the chickens aren't interested in eating the plants, they love digging in garden beds. Probably cause it's easy to get in there and look for bugs. And that'll destroy your plants in a hurry...

I've got plenty of wasps and native bees that hang out in my yard, and I've never seen my chickens pay them much attention. As long as they can't bust into your apiary, your bees should be fine.
That’s a good point. I assumed they’d go for the bugs and skip the plants (assuming there were no fruits or vegetables yet), given my experience with offering them herbs from my garden so far. They seem to turn up their noses to parsley, thyme and oregano. 🤨 But I didn’t consider what they’d do to the soil. That could be a real concern. Thanks for the tip.

I have my bees located right next to my chickens. When they free ranged the hive was In front, slightly off to the right, of their coop. I’ve never had problems with it. I wouldn’t put the bees on the ground, I’d put them higher then the chickens so they can’t try and peck at the front of the hive. Apart from the occasional chicken eating a bee, they’ve never seemed to be bothered by each other. When the bees die the chickens also eat the dead ones, that means I’m less likely to stand on a bee.

I agree with @TheAlrightyGina about your garden. Chickens can destroy your garden. I made the mistake once of putting kale within they’re reach, let’s just say they helped it get ready for winter.
Thanks for your input. I’m glad your chickens and bees have been able to have a good symbiotic relationship. The hive I plan on getting is not only up off the ground but also has ant/insect traps around the base, as there are many creepy crawlies in our area.

I’m really following this and hoping for great info. It’s my second morning in my new 2acre homestead-ish home. I’ve got a lot of books to read before getting chickens, goats, beehives and bat houses next spring.
only a few as pets.
But nothing beats the 1st hand trial and error then success advice I get from this forum.

Back
Top Bottom