Keeping birds out of coop and run

cdahl383

Chirping
Apr 25, 2020
We recently got chickens back in the spring and set up a nice coop inside two large dog kennels. We haven't had any issues with hawks or predators as I lock the chickens up at night in the coop. I had no issues until the last month or so when I noticed tons of birds (appear to be starlings) hanging out in the run in the afternoon feasting on the chicken feed and now even going inside the coop through the pop door. I have since removed the hanging feeder that was in the coop and just keep the one outside in the run along with their water. Nothing is inside the coop anymore, no food or water, yet they continue to go in there.

I tried hanging CD's from the ceiling inside the coop but they didn't even care about that. They seem to fly in from the top of the run which is completely open, but also through the chain link fence as well.

I was thinking of various ways to keep them out as they are crapping all over in the coop, in the run, on the coop, and eating the feed I leave out for the chickens. I've basically come to the conclusion that the only way to ensure I keep all birds out, as well as maybe some potential predators in the future, is to completely enclose the run with hardware cloth. Of course it won't be cheap or easy to do, but that's likely the best way.

I was thinking of ordering some 3' x 50' rolls of 1/2" hardware cloth to run all along the sides and then somehow drape it over the top of the run. I'm guessing I will need some metal or wood to provide an arch or support of some sort over the center of the run. I"m not a carpenter, but I can do basic stuff. I have some ideas in my head, but I was hoping that maybe some of you on here have dealt with this issue in the past and have either a better/easier solution or at least some photos of what you did.

Any help is appreciated. I'm getting really tired of these little stupid birds acting like they own the place. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0255.JPG
    IMG_0255.JPG
    978.7 KB · Views: 36
Unfortunately if wild birds can get in for an easy feed they will. It isn't ideal because they can bring diseases and parasites with them, not to mention how much it costs to feed them! :lol: Hopefully someone can give you an idea of what to do. Maybe for now you could get some of that soft bird netting, though I'm in a different country so I'm not sure how costly that would end up being.

Our chickens are locked in a coop at night and free range all day. I give them a meal in the morning and stand there while they eat, then they don't get anything else until bedtime and they have food out all night in their coop. Otherwise I'm feeding the local sparrows more than my chickens.

Thanks everyone! I did some more research today and came up with a plan.

Going to get some pvc pipe and bird netting to make a roof enclosure over the run. Going to use bird netting on the sides to as they can fit through the chain link fencing. Shouldn’t be too hard to do and won’t be too costly. That much hardware cloth would cost a small fortune. I’ll give the bird netting a try first and see how it goes.

Thanks!

Going to get some pvc pipe and bird netting to make a roof enclosure over the run. Going to use bird netting on the sides to as they can fit through the chain link fencing. Shouldn’t be too hard to do and won’t be too costly. That much hardware cloth would cost a small fortune. I’ll give the bird netting a try first and see how it goes.

Thanks!
I like the bird netting because it’s not heavy on my run yet strong enough to keep birds out. We use simple bread bag twist ties to secure pieces together and any holes. Works great.

They came for the feed, get a decent treadle feeder. If it is rat proof it is also bird proof. Google search and do your research before buying. Look up a free range farm called Fifth Crow Farms and see how they solved their problems with wild birds.

Thanks!
Just FYI my sister used pvc pipe to arch over her (large) run to support bird netting. She regrets this because over the years the pvc has sagged and kind of warped. Not too attractive, but sort of still does the job. Possibly if she had used a larger diameter it would have held up better. Just guessing I would say hers is probably 1” diameter or thereabouts. Not really sure of the size. I am planning to build a netted run at some point for more outdoor space, and I was thinking of using metal electrical conduit to hold up the bird netting - still fairly cheap but I think it would be sturdier.

Well I switched to a new feeder, removed everything from the coop, and shut the door to the coop in the afternoon after the hens laid their eggs for the past few days. The last couple days I haven’t seen any birds in the run other than a few random sparrows. Before there were 30-40 of these starlings that were hanging out.

Going to leave the coop door open like normal for a while and see if they return. Seems like since I switched feeders and have no more waste seed on the ground they’ve lost interest. I’ll see how it goes over the next few days.

Back
Top Bottom