Keeping Birds out without a treadle Feeder or a gun???

dbg99

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
Been having the birds smash the chook chow on the inside of our coop. Tried hanging a cd from the doorway but chickens seem scared of it and don't want to walk through it. And it also doesn't seem to do a good job of keeping the birds out? Any other ideas? Thought I read somewhere that perhaps some shade cloth or a drape cut in strips covering the entrance to the coop? Does that work quite well or anyone else have any other ideas other than a treadle feeder to keep the birds from going inside the coop? Anything that doesn't require a gun?

Hi there, I have been having the same problem with Grackles! Have too big of a yard right now to close in or cover with netting. Birds, they were finding the cracks up top of the horse shed converted to chicken coop. Used expanding foam to close those cracks up and now they are coming in the pop door to get to the heated water. Don't seem to mess with the food much. I put a couple of wooden pallets leaning up at an angle in front of the pop doors as a hopeful deterent today. It is zero weather here and they are looking for water. Everything is frozen so I have also started putting water out for the wild birds in front of my house in the yard - far as I can from my chickens. Hopefully will give them what they are so desperately looking for. It may end up being the birdshot in the end though unless someone out there has other possible solution?

Back
Top Bottom