Keeping breeds seperate???

Chickens14

Songster
10 Years
Nov 16, 2009
Ulster County NY
frow.gif

I am wondering how others manage their flock?
I have Mille Fleurs, Frizzles, silkies, Faverolles, Sebrights
all have their seperate coop/ area I have one large coop divided
in 4 sections, then two small coops... I do intend to hatch & breed
each line, And that is why I am keeping them seperate...my DH picks on me
because I keep them all seperate from each other
and I do this because boys fight...
I wouldn't mind letting them free range but am not sure because the
boys will fight...
So what I am wondering is to keep one of the coop for boys only and keep
the girls in another coop & then for breeding seperate each breed again

What is your setup?

I have individual 4x4 pens for my breeding for my trios. I have to have everyone separate too. Its my OCD. Even when they are chicks, it makes me crazy to see them all together in one pen but DH refused to build 6 brooder pens...
wink.png

Quote:
lau.gif

my DH just finished my other coop & he said no more...
It would seem so much easier if they could all be in one sigh
well just curious if their is Ann easier way but I seem to be on the
right track... Thanx

If you keep your roos together from the time they are chicks they seem to get along but once you seperate them they will fight and it can get seriously bloody. Of course if they all are together and you decide to hatch the dad could be any of the roos cuz hens don't care.

None of my roos fight badly. There are a few scuffles that might lose a feather but that's it and they are rare. I've had 5 different breeds of rooster running around the same coop from large standards to seramas. I let them all free range except the seramas which got moved to their own coop and then I moved the rest of the bantams in to that coop. It depends on the breed but some roos get along just fine. The only issue I have is over mating the hens when I get too many standard roos. I try to only keep 1 and maybe a backup but the smaller roos, which consist of japanese bantams, seramas, and bantam EE, I have nearly as many as I do hens. When I want eggs from certain roo and hen crosses I seperate them for a couple months. 3 weeks of not collecting eggs to make sure they are not laying eggs by another roo and then 4 weeks of collecting eggs to hatch and sell. Sometimes I just hatch eggs and then sort the chicks out afterward. With some of the breeds that's not hard because all the chicks come out looking different. I can't tell the pure seramas from serama x japs though so those do have to be seperated if I don't want mutt eggs. The bantam EE I let cross with whatever when I want to hatch blue eggs since they are mutts anyway and I just get more interesting colored layers the next generation.

Well, I don't really like the thought (nor do my girls
lol.png
) of having my chickens in a limited run, so, even though I have various breeds that I do not allow the crossing of - All my hens are mixed and mingled in the same coop, sharing the same 3 acre pasture. The roosters are seperate, in their own 1 acre area with their own coop. When it comes time I breed them. I put them in a smaller area, my "breeding pen." This way everyone has a free range life, but I still have proper breeding programs going on. If the roosters have any troubles, I can section them off.

Back
Top Bottom