keeping chickens cool in summer heat

Pics
Just got through a heat-wave here in Las Vegas. It was 117(f) / 47(c). Got through fine by adding frozen water bottles to the water along with 325mg of aspirin (not ibuprofen or acetaminophen) per 1 gallon water. I also added a fan and a mister system, and covered most of the run with an old run to block the direct sunlight. I was able to drop the temp in the run to below 100(f) / 37(c).

The downside was that the misters did make the straw I had in the run damp. I had to remove the straw so the ground would dry out and to prevent the straw from molding.

With these steps the hens didn't have labored breathing and continued to eat and drink as normal.

Being in Phoenix, we have our coop almost completely covered with a tarp and an evaporative cooler on the inside with the intake against the chicken wire on the side that is not covered. This is essential when the temps go above 100 and you can tell the girls love it because they hang out inside in front of the cooled air. We also spray them down with a hose in the afternoon, which they have come to like a lot.

Just got through a heat-wave here in Las Vegas. It was 117(f) / 47(c). Got through fine by adding frozen water bottles to the water along with 325mg of aspirin (not ibuprofen or acetaminophen) per 1 gallon water. I also added a fan and a mister system, and covered most of the run with an old run to block the direct sunlight. I was able to drop the temp in the run to below 100(f) / 37(c).

The downside was that the misters did make the straw I had in the run damp. I had to remove the straw so the ground would dry out and to prevent the straw from molding.

With these steps the hens didn't have labored breathing and continued to eat and drink as normal.

Hey Bruce,

I am in Vegas too, and experienced the heat wave this last weekend myself. Along with several pans of cold water, I put frozen water bottles around the coop and run for the hens to lay next to. Their set up is positioned so that after about 1pm, it is completely engulfed in shade from the awning in the hot afternoon sun. We don't have any trees in our backyard, it is mulch, dirt, rocks and weeds (the previous owners had a garden, and we just haven't had time to get one going ourselves.) We thought about using a fan and a mister, but since we can't always be around, we were concerned about it getting too muddy. We want to get a timer, but with me losing my job recently, it was all we could afford just to finish the coop. Lately during the heat of the day, I have just been bringing the girls inside to their air conditioned little area of the house, but I don't want to have to keep doing this, and I'd like to know that when I get a job and have to leave them outside on their own, that they will be ok.

Just a couple questions. What kind of fan and mister did you install and is it on a timer? We need something easy and affordable since we are on a tight budget. Also, as asked above, what does asprin do for the girls when you put it in the water? Do you have any other suggestions for keeping the ladies cool in the Vegas summer? Any suggestions would be fantastic. If nothing else, it is nice to talk to a fellow Las Vegas chicken lover :)

~Sin City Chicks~

I've been taking my used 2ltr soda bottles and freezing them with water to place in the coop. I also run a personal mister near the coop entrance (so the inside doesn't get too humid) and then run a sprinkler on the grass outside the coop. I'm trying to keep the temps around the coop tolerable. So far so good.

i tried frozen srawberries (what i had in the freezer), first straight from the bag, they were not interested. then i put some in a bowl with water, instant chicken crack. drank all the water and ate all the berries. thirst quenched happy chickens!

After reading all of the posts so far, I'm happy to see I have the right idea.
On hot days, I give them chilled or frozen watermelon, strawberries, corn on the cob, or cantaloupe to cool them down. I also freeze pints of water with corn or freeze dried meal worms to get them to peck at it. I tried the pan of water, but they don't go near it. I tried the pool idea and they don't like it, but I'm going to keep trying it out. We bought fans to run in their coop and run too.

I'm excited to hear other ideas :)
Don't give them corn on the cob, or whole corn.... they expend too much energy, and raise their body temps to digest it, during the summer months. That's a good food to give them during winter, but not the hot summer months.

Don't give them corn on the cob, or whole corn.... they expend too much energy, and raise their body temps to digest it, during the summer months. That's a good food to give them during winter, but not the hot summer months.
oh ok I didn't know that they love it so very cold

Thanks for the tip on corn. I've also read on this site to hold off on ACV during the high heat. My girls are also in shade with a tarp over the run. I added a pool of sorts to the run; I had an unused lid to a trash can that I put in the run with some water. Thanks for the pool idea. Thanks for all the "cool" ideas! (Yeah, I know it was lame, but I couldn't resist:p)

Back
Top Bottom