Keeping chickens cool in the summer?

I lost my favorite girl when she went into the nest box to lay...it was like being in a hot car. I didn't think they would leave shade and water to go into the hot coop. Now I keep uppers open all day, put frozen water just inside the upper opening and blow a fan on it. I'm also hanging sheets around it to keep the sunload off the coop. I give them frozen corn, drip a hose in their run and keep their gaterade cold. I found a bucket misting fan at home depot but battery only lasts about two hours...but I use it everyday in the afternoon to give them a break. I also blow a fan up at their coop roost. Sometimes our low I'd in the 90's! Last year they were babies in the house. Didn't realize how hard it was to keep them alive in Phoenix!

I think this is the fan cooler that was mentioned in an earlier post.
I actually made one of these just out of curiosity and it does blow cold air.
But you still need electricity.

Google diy fan drink cooler for more info. It just has ice in it and the fan blows air into the box (cooler-whatever) and the hose directs the cooled air to where you want it.

Can you tell us what you mean by a water cooler? Thanks!
When my friend Jackie moved away, she was selling her water cooler.  I bought it for $50...at the time I didn't think much about it.  My first thought was to use it on our back deck, which is very hot during the summer months.  We don't really sit out there much during the summer.  My second thought, which was a great idea, was to use the water cooler for my chickens.  I put water in the lower pan (refill as needed) and turn it on.  They hang out right in front of it and move back and forth towards other parts of the run when they choose.  It's been one of the best garage sale items that I've come across.  This is our third year to use it and when it gives out, I'll get another one!

Last edited:
 We just build a new screen door for our coop and they always have water but they still  are very hot. I know because they have their wings kind of held away from their bodies and they are breathing heavy with their mouths open. Can chickens swim? Could I put some kind of container out full of water for them to swim in?

I made frozen chicken treats. They love pecking at the corn

Well this may sound strange but it works! I live in Louisisana so it's hot AND Humid. We can easily reach heat indexes of 105+. I have it in my coop now and after about 3 days the chickens caught on and stay in it whenever they get hot. In a couple of minutes the painting stops and there good to go. I'm knew here so I hope it's ok to send links? Here ya go. And please try this! Sometimes simple is best! https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=q4gtc07kmD0 or if u don't trust the link, MULIEMAN1 posted this in 2013. Good luck and contact me if u want more on how I did my tub and all.

Well this may sound strange but it works! I live in Louisisana so it's hot AND Humid. We can easily reach heat indexes of 105+. I have it in my coop now and after about 3 days the chickens caught on and stay in it whenever they get hot. In a couple of minutes the painting stops and there good to go. I'm knew here so I hope it's ok to send links? Here ya go. And please try this! Sometimes simple is best! https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=q4gtc07kmD0 or if u don't trust the link, MULIEMAN1 posted this in 2013. Good luck and contact me if u want more on how I did my tub and all.
The link did not work.

I was reading this week on Facebook about two things I hadn't known before.

The first was not feeding the birds corn or scratch grains during the hot summer months. The reasoning was that the act of digesting these grains would raise the birds' body temperature.

The second was a neat summer treat for the birds.

Take a bundt cake pan and fill 3/4 full of leftover frozen mixed vegetables, fruits and other goodies. Add water to pan till about 1" from top and freeze solid. When solidly frozen, run water over the pan just enough to loosen the ice block and place in a pan or on a plate for the birds to enjoy.

I did this yesterday and after the birds figured out what the strange thing was in their pen, they happily pecked at the ice block and the frozen veggies. I made another today to give them tomorrow or the next day if the hot weather returns.

Oh my......Ok, so I just clicked on the link and had no problem. Maybe try again? So sorry. :(. Just go to youtube and search >>>mulieman1. The title of the video is >>>"117 degrees in Phoenix and my chickens are cool, 2013." If u are unable to find the video, ill be glad to explain to u the basic idea of the set up. So easy but it works!

Back
Top Bottom