Keeping chickens cool in the summer?

MyPetNugget

Enjoying the cold!!!
6 Years
Nov 11, 2013
Enjoying New Year so far!!!
We just build a new screen door for our coop and they always have water but they still are very hot. I know because they have their wings kind of held away from their bodies and they are breathing heavy with their mouths open. Can chickens swim? Could I put some kind of container out full of water for them to swim in?

Here's a good idea for inside the coop:

Use a furnace filter and a box fan Attach a furnace filter with hook-and-loop tabs to the air intake side of a box fan and hang the fan between the ceiling joists so you won't hit your head on it. Just switch it on and fine dust particles from the coop will be drawn into the filter by the vacuum created by the fan. Easy-peasy!!

My new attempts at heat and humidity.

I tried the frozen water (2 liter method) without a doubt love it.
Added a circulating fan.

I know they can't swim or really put there beaks into deep water, so I came up with plan B.

12" round metal pan.
I measured there current water drinker (that way I knew how much water to add, so my babies didn't drown)

I threw in some frozen green beans to the water and OMG!!!!
IT was green bean bobbin play time.
(Maybe they thought the beans were long green worms.
They had a blast, by the end of the day no beans, no water, (they decided to use it a a cool bath, lol..)

They look at me know like Ma, wheres the pool.....

I just set them down on the floor in a shady place so that they don't melt as fast. Really helps keep them cool, happy I could help!!!

My dh designed a veggie / fruit tether ball using a long threaded eye bolt with a larger washer and wing nut at the end. I raise extra veggies (tomatoes, zucchini , cucumbers), partially freeze them then skewer and hang from the rafter of our covered run. They get to play, eat and get cool all at the same time!

Everyone got me going on all their ideas in keeping chickens cool. I brainstormed this one, with a long chain and "S" hooks. I happened to have a watermelon that needed to be cut and trimmed out. I always save the rinds, but don't like tossing them on the ground. If I put them in a pan or container, the chickens manage to pull them out and then they get full of dirt. Well, the chain and hooks are keeping the rinds off the ground. At first my flock had to figure out what was hanging on the chain....it's been since last summer since we've had a watermelon, so this is a real cool treat for them. By the way, I've got the water cooler running since early this morning, it's in the mid 90's here in Leakey Texas! We do see over 100 degree temps and I know it's coming!

Back
Top Bottom