Keeping chickens cool in the summer?

MyPetNugget

Enjoying the cold!!!
6 Years
Nov 11, 2013
Enjoying New Year so far!!!
We just build a new screen door for our coop and they always have water but they still are very hot. I know because they have their wings kind of held away from their bodies and they are breathing heavy with their mouths open. Can chickens swim? Could I put some kind of container out full of water for them to swim in?

We do have a run area and a coop that they can always access (except at night)
Here is a picture of the coop:

The part with the lattice is their run area. It is fully predator proof under, over, and on the sides.
I plan to help build a chicken tractor within the next month I think, but we can't free range until we do because of hawks and other sky predators. I just need some help on how to keep them cool in the interim. Any help appreciated.
smile.png

Here's a good idea for inside the coop:

Use a furnace filter and a box fan Attach a furnace filter with hook-and-loop tabs to the air intake side of a box fan and hang the fan between the ceiling joists so you won't hit your head on it. Just switch it on and fine dust particles from the coop will be drawn into the filter by the vacuum created by the fan. Easy-peasy!!

I put water in old milk or juice jugs and freeze them. I put them in the coop and all of mine love sitting by them and sometimes even perching on them! It helps keep them cool for a while, and I just always keep a frozen jug on hand to switch out with the ones that melt.

That's a great idea! Now do you just set them down on the floor or hang them up somehow? Thanks!

I just set them down on the floor in a shady place so that they don't melt as fast. Really helps keep them cool, happy I could help!!!

Back
Top Bottom