Keeping chickens cool in the summer?

We put cake pans or simaler container and keep them full of ice scattered around and keep spots under trees watered down they love the damp cool dirt. We also have misters in the runs and when it gets really hot like it does here 109 114 is common we have water coolers some call them swamp coolers in their coops.

Man I wish I had that problem, high of 67 today. Tomorrow night in the high thirties. Worried about me new chicks. Eight days old today. Running the heat lamp 24/7.
welcome-byc.gif
It was 104 in the storeroom I had them in yesterday. Had to keep running ice and water out. It isn't insulated and even with A/C and a fan they were miserable. My handyman wrapped the dog kennels today and I have them outside in the shade. 90 something and they are loving it. I had lost one in the storeroom and when I went back to get it, two more got out of the kennel. I'll be able to buy 1/2 hardware cloth tomorrow so will be able to keep them in. The 2 are wedged into a 4" wide 4' long space and I can put down food and water for them but I got to have help getting them back.
lau.gif

I do ice cubes in the water and two foot baths. One is a bird bath but they use it to cool their feet. I also use a mister. I give them foxen bananas, watermelon, etc. I keep an abundant supply of frozen bottles with pipe cleaners twisted around the neck with a loop, then hang them on plain curtain hooks, which are cheap and sturdy. I have the curtain hooks all around the coops and bunny hutches. I bring out a bunch of frozen bottles and just hang them. I leave the curtain hooks in the coops year around. When I put the frozen bottles on the ground or floor of the coops, they would get filthy. I hang them so they are next to the perches. See below.

I keep lots in the freezer all the time and they get rotated.

The pipe cleaners have lasted for years. I don't re-invent this every year.

I have curtain hooks hanging all around. Cheap and sturdy. I never take them down.

Just hang the bottle on the curtain hook. So easy.

Standing in an iced bird bath.

Last edited:
Here's a great idea for keeping 'em cool in this summer heat!

Freeze corn kernels in a muffin tin with water . When frozen bag them up for a quick and cool treat for your ladies!
wee.gif
Great idea, but I thought I read on here somewhere that corn and BOSS actually helps them generate more heat. I'm confused....but don't pat yourselves on the back - at my age that's very easily done!

Hi, I'm new to chicken keeping and we are trying to make a waterer just like yours - you have done exactly what we are trying to do! I notice that you replaced the plastic petcock with a brass fitting that has a hose end. Could you please let me know the details of this fitting ? Also where it came from? The challenge we have met so far is putting a different petcock/valve/tap/faucet in place that doesn't leak around where it screws in to the water container. Any tips as to how you overcame that would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!
Having dealt with replacing many different brands of water cooler spigots due to the Boy Scouts using them monthly on camping trips I have noticed that the different brands have different diameters of the hole for the spigot. This particular cooler is a Rubbermaid brand 5 gallon and the hole is 7/8" diameter so I was able to sort of thread a 3/4" NPT brass hose bib into it that I got from Home Depot. I went with the quarter turn valve style so I don't need to twist it to open all the way, a short 1/4 turn does it. Before I threaded in the hose bib I sealed the edges of the hole in the cooler with aquarium grade silicone. I have been looking for a bib with longer threads to attach a flange nut on the inside but I never found one so after threading the bib in all the way to the cooler I sealed the inside with more silicone to be sure of no leakage. So far so good!

Back
Top Bottom