Keeping Chickens Cool in this Crazy Heat?

FountainCityCottage

In the Brooder
Sep 1, 2019
F6A3E3B4-7DA9-4A32-A700-DEAEB550D1B9.jpeg
I don’t know about where y’all live, but here in TN we’re having the hottest September I can remember. What are some tricks and tips that you utilize to keep your chickens cool in this heat? I’m adding ice to their water twice daily but am wondering whether they need a fan of some kind.

The best thing I did was to set up a mister in the run. It takes the temp down about 10 to 15 degrees. They don't really like to stand under it, but they hover around the edges. It gets the litter good and damp too, so they cool their feet walking around in it.

View attachment 1906079 I don’t know about where y’all live, but here in TN we’re having the hottest September I can remember. What are some tricks and tips that you utilize to keep your chickens cool in this heat? I’m adding ice to their water twice daily but am wondering whether they need a fan of some kind.
I give them frozen treats. Such as fruits, or I refrigerate their bread. I also leave a couple milk jugs with frozen water in their dust bath which is a kiddie pool with sand. They lay up against this and I pour cold water in there for them to dust in. At night I have some rechargeable fans that I run in the coops. And last but not least I spray them with the hose when I am filling up their water . They do not particularly like this but after they are wet they seem relieved.

View attachment 1906079 I don’t know about where y’all live, but here in TN we’re having the hottest September I can remember. What are some tricks and tips that you utilize to keep your chickens cool in this heat? I’m adding ice to their water twice daily but am wondering whether they need a fan of some kind.
Shallow pool or pan to wade in, and frozen fruits and vegetables! They're like popsicle treats for the birds! Plus, any source of shade.

Shade, for sure. I had to put up 27’ of 5’ tall shade cloth around the south and east sides of the run to help the girls out. They had shade already, but it was so hot, they hardly moved around, so this helped extend the shade and provide a generally cooler area for them to hang out in.

Also, I bought a large waterer and propped it up on blocks and then took a 6’ scrap of particle board and leaned it up against the side of the building to shade the waterer and to give them some shade to stand around in by it.

Good luck

Deep all day shade is best but....

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves. It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

Back
Top Bottom