Keeping Chickens Cool

hickoxfarm

Hatching
Jul 13, 2016
Hello! I just incountered a big problem with chickens when you live in Florida especially in summer. It gets super hot and I mean over 100 degress! I have 27 chickens 6 of which are chicks and my chickens get very hot quickly. I do have a small pool that they can go in but I have only seen my turkey go in. I really don't know if they will go in or even like it. Is there any way to keep them cool in the summer?

Welcome to BYC!!!...do a search of forum archives for keeping chickens cool in summer, they are full of great advice! Shade cloth, fans, ice in water, cold treats like watermelon, etc.

Welcome
frow.gif
there are plenty of threads that discuss your concerns. For sure make sure that they are drinking electrolyte water, the recipes come in several varieties, and you could find them in the learning center as well as many threads, just search on the site and you'll find plenty. Use the recipe that suits best for your flock. I've seen people suggest brown sugar in the mixture, but it seems mine were scared to get near it, prob they thought it was dirty (makes sense, no? lol). Have much success on the site, and with your flock as well!
welcome-byc.gif

Be careful with ponds, chicks can drown easily. You could put out shallow pans of water and some ice for them to stand in. Cooler feet= cooler bird

Back
Top Bottom