Keeping Chickens Free Range

Update:

After reviewing laws and legal liabilities for the neighbors, I called and reported the incident to animal control. They re-affirmed it is our legal right to defend our livestock and property and can shoot the dog if it comes back and threatens our birds. He thanked me for taking the first step and speaking with the neighbor, and he is going to the neighbors property to issue a written warning.

I am praying they do a better job of giving their dog attention and containing him. I hope this doesn't get ugly. I am feeling better there will be a written record of this. I hate burying animals. That dog better not come back!

Bless your hearts! If that man was any kind of decent person he would have apologized and bought you some new hens. Glad you went to animal control though, at least now you know you can legally "protect" your hens the next (hopefully there wont be one) time this happens. Although I would have just shot the **** the next time he poked his **** nose into that hole!
somad.gif

PS....sorry for the bad language and attitude, but people should take responsibility for what is theirs and not act like it was no big deal......I hate killing animals, but if it's to protect what's mine than I will after exhausting other avenues....

Last edited:
Quote:
WARNING......

As a former Bail Bondsman for 9 years I will say a new law went into effect after 911 and it is called a Terrorist Threat and it is a seriesse crime with some places paying more attention then others but something that should be reported and I myself have had many problems with ,,, Nothing to be taken lightly in anyway ..... Oh I have to say this I am not a lawyer or giving legal advice just giving info on problems I have had personally.......

So for your protection I would advise making the report to the local law enforcement agency ........

Funny back in the 1960 things were a lot different on the ranch I grow up on as the law required us to put the domestic animals on the fence for the owners to claim but out of view from the house to avoid any embarrassment to the owners of the animal or rancher .....

Funny how times have changed
sad.png

Good luck with your birds
D.gif

gander007
old.gif

Having a sad day.

The neighbors dog dug a whole underneath the fence, visited, and attacked our free-ranging hens just to watch them die. I found my 3 mo old americana/brahma cross next to the pen with little guineas.  We were outside, and when my husband saw the dog he dropped our 8 mo/old Jersey Giant - she has a bit of a limp but we have her in a cool space with vitamins & electrolytes and high protein feed hoping she will recover from the stress of the attack.   We are still missing our 6 mo/old double laced barnvelder hen.  I found a small clump of her feathers, but not her. I am hoping she got a way and ran off into the woods and will return this evening - yet she more likely went to heaven somewhere in the woods.

It is very sad.  We have several acres and enjoy letting the hens free range. I've spent all weekend pounding in stakes preparing the yard for over 1300 feet of welded wire fencing to try to keep dogs out and our birds in.  

Our hens in greatest danger today were the ones hanging out by the coop/nesting boxes. The coop door was wide open and the dog went right in.

I am beyond angry.  We have not had too many problems. A pair of stray dogs claimed a hen this winter - but this was far less upsetting than the most recent rampage.  I was going to go confront the neighbors - my husband asked me not to as it won't do anything and the dog will just be back.  

All prayers for the Giant's recovery are welcome. Also praying we find the Barnvelder (or she come's home!)

I am so sorry
1f62f.png
. Your neighbors owe you compensation for your losses. They also can't contain their dogs if they don't know what's happening. You have rights.

Here in NC, I can use deadly force on predators. Make no mistake- that's what your neighbor's dog is. I will do what it takes to protect my flock.

We found the Barnvelder hen.  I did put her in a box and went to meet the neighbor -- of course he didn't want to see my dead hen and would "try" to keep the dog under control.  I mentioned my husband was very upset and that he is apt to kill dogs attacking and killing our livestock.   The neighbor said if we killed his dog he would come over and we would have to kill him.

I am checking local laws.  I am wondering if I should report things to the county animal control office.  

We live on agricultural land.  There is a nice subdivision behind us (where the dog came from).  There are all kinds of dog prints near all of our cages/coops.  I believe more chickens survived because they were free-ranging.  The ones he got were trapped against fences.  

The Giant appears to be okay. 

That's communicating threats- get the law involved. I had a restraining order on someone who said that to me. You have rights. And likely much more than he does in this situation. Time for your local law enforcement to pay him a visit.

If you don't put your foot down now, it will not stop. As much as I love dogs, that dog would be dead and buried if he came back.

I am having a similar issue with my neighbor. He has beagles in kennels, and a few have figured out how to climb over the side. Last year, about ten were killed and a dozen were hurt while free ranging. I was in school, came home to the after math... Weeks of treating wounds. This year, an Icelandic pullet, a sebright pullet, a D'Uccle pullet, and a Sebright cockerel were killed by the dogs. I have not confronted them about this year's deaths. They keep trying to keep the dogs in, but they apparently are escape artists. Two of them were found near-dead in a ditch a few miles away and brough to them just a couple days ago. They want rid of them and do very little with them to keep the dogs entertained, so they are always trying to escape. And the minute they do, they know right where the chickens are...
I am not going to kill the dogs. Now that it is Summer, I can better watch the free ranging chickens and keep an eye out for the dogs. If I see one come down, I will just have to make sure I scare them bad enough that they do not want to come back.

There is nothing harder to do than shoot a dog, but in some cases it needs to be done.

Where I live, in the county and not a town or city, dogs are basically not a governmental unit problem and they will not get involved. If you have a dog harassing or killing livestock you have no option. There is no animal control or humane society that will get involved. It is sad when people let there dogs run, and force others to have to take care of the problem, it shows a lack of consideration for the dog and fellow humans.

I am having a similar issue with my neighbor. He has beagles in kennels, and a few have figured out how to climb over the side. Last year, about ten were killed and a dozen were hurt while free ranging. I was in school, came home to the after math... Weeks of treating wounds. This year, an Icelandic pullet, a sebright pullet, a D'Uccle pullet, and a Sebright cockerel were killed by the dogs. I have not confronted them about this year's deaths. They keep trying to keep the dogs in, but they apparently are escape artists. Two of them were found near-dead in a ditch a few miles away and brough to them just a couple days ago. They want rid of them and do very little with them to keep the dogs entertained, so they are always trying to escape. And the minute they do, they know right where the chickens are...
I am not going to kill the dogs. Now that it is Summer, I can better watch the free ranging chickens and keep an eye out for the dogs. If I see one come down, I will just have to make sure I scare them bad enough that they do not want to come back.

I would call the county and see what can be done.....most for you, but esp. for those poor dogs If they are not being taken care of then it is abuse of an animal. I know they may end up in a shelter & put down, or hopefully put up for adoption in a place that has a no kill policy.

Having a sad day.

The neighbors dog dug a whole underneath the fence, visited, and attacked our free-ranging hens just to watch them die. I found my 3 mo old americana/brahma cross next to the pen with little guineas. We were outside, and when my husband saw the dog he dropped our 8 mo/old Jersey Giant - she has a bit of a limp but we have her in a cool space with vitamins & electrolytes and high protein feed hoping she will recover from the stress of the attack. We are still missing our 6 mo/old double laced barnvelder hen. I found a small clump of her feathers, but not her. I am hoping she got a way and ran off into the woods and will return this evening - yet she more likely went to heaven somewhere in the woods.

It is very sad. We have several acres and enjoy letting the hens free range. I've spent all weekend pounding in stakes preparing the yard for over 1300 feet of welded wire fencing to try to keep dogs out and our birds in.

Our hens in greatest danger today were the ones hanging out by the coop/nesting boxes. The coop door was wide open and the dog went right in.

I am beyond angry. We have not had too many problems. A pair of stray dogs claimed a hen this winter - but this was far less upsetting than the most recent rampage. I was going to go confront the neighbors - my husband asked me not to as it won't do anything and the dog will just be back.

All prayers for the Giant's recovery are welcome. Also praying we find the Barnvelder (or she come's home!)

I have to agree on telling the people.....But I would mention the dog will not live to do it a third time.

We found the Barnvelder hen. I did put her in a box and went to meet the neighbor -- of course he didn't want to see my dead hen and would "try" to keep the dog under control. I mentioned my husband was very upset and that he is apt to kill dogs attacking and killing our livestock. The neighbor said if we killed his dog he would come over and we would have to kill him.

I am checking local laws. I am wondering if I should report things to the county animal control office.

We live on agricultural land. There is a nice subdivision behind us (where the dog came from). There are all kinds of dog prints near all of our cages/coops. I believe more chickens survived because they were free-ranging. The ones he got were trapped against fences.

The Giant appears to be okay.
Your neighbor has refused to take ownership of the killing of your pets. He has made a threat to cause personal injury to your family on your own land. You need to call the police, and file a report, and follow up with a restraining order. You need to go beyond the ACO in this case, and involve the police and the court system to protect yourself, your family, and your animals. I would also file claim for financial reimbursement for the loss of your bird. Granted, it will be a pittance, and will not bring any pleasure, but... the wallet may be the only thing this person respects. Then, if that dog shows up again, SSS.

Back
Top Bottom