Keeping Chickens Free Range

Pottercat- A run can be very helpful when you need to leave. The few times we had issues with wild predators was when we were away for a few days. If you have a run you can let the chickens out a bit when you are gone with a bit more protection than just letting the pop door open and hoping for the best. It is also good for chicks and young birds that haven't learned what to be on the lookout for, broodies and sick birds are also are easy targets that benefit from a run.

Some things I found that always helped with predators was to have a lot of activity around the area the chickens roam. Our dog would be encouraged to walk the area, and my hubby would often "mark" the territory. Make sure there are plenty of places for them to get cover during the day. Places to hide under and hop/fly up. We also made sure we always had a rooster and a spare. Roosters were often the first and sometimes only loss to day time predators. We always let our girls out a bit later in the morning to avoid early morning predators also, we also fed the girls in the coop right before dusk and locked them up at the same time. Not only did they eat less after foraging all day, but then there wouldn't be feed sitting in the coop all the time to encourage other critters.

Our property is a mix of open pasture and wooded areas, and butt up next to a nature preserve. We have coyotes, foxes, hawks, turkey vultures, raccoons, and stray cats that we have seen. Other than a couple untrained dogs, and a car, our losses have been to raccoons. They like to come out right before dusk and hide in the coop, waiting for the chickens to go in. The chickens however somehow knew they were there and roosted in the barn instead the few times it happened. We have caught 6 coons (1 unfortunately escaped) inside the coop at dusk, usually this happened at the end of winter when other food sources were scare. Coons are tenacious creatures. The last coon incident happened while we were away for a 3 day weekend. It was below zero so we decided to keep the birds confined while we were away. Came home to having the hinges on the pop door broken and the wood actually broken at a weak spot. Feathers everywhere, most birds missing, a couple with bellies missing, and one lonely hen left.

We are planing on building dedicated chicken run that is coon proof for our next batch coming so they can have the run option, but we still plan on free ranging mostly since I enjoy the watching them in the yard, plus I think it's better for them (and the feed bill) to find bugs and seeds.

Hi, folks! Been forever since I posted.
For those NOT convinced Chickens are healthier WHEN FREE RANGE, I DO NOT HAVE A COOP: this RIR was brought home from a cage no more than 2x3, maybe bigger? RECENT PIX-

Taken last Spring? -

I can DEFINITELY SEE the difference. I picked up a small pet carrier a few minutes ago, finding more than a dozen eggs in it. I KNEW I had heard the Egg Song...
lau.gif
A 'new to my home' 1yr old kitten went after my Mini Bantam Roo. The above hen went after the kitten. Haven't seen the kitten try THAT again...
AS Daluth said, Early morning predators are what took me down 5-6 last year. Will likely get 6 more this year.
Of COURSE, you realize I just BOUGHT 3 dozen eggs, right?
th.gif

Last edited:
Thank You, D! LOVE your pic, BTW. I'm not sure why her Wings are still so skimpy. She cannot fly but don't think they trimmed her b4 I got her...Any ideas?
Anything I can do? She's worth keeping just to keep kitten in line....
lol.png

If I couldn't keep free-range chickens...I wouldn't have chickens at all. I'd just increase my rabbit and goat ...Oh, no I wouldn't ...I'm over run with them now... I guess I'd raise more pork, which is pasture raised too, for the most part.

I lock them up at night to keep the guard dogs from killing them.

RON

So I have raised chickens in the city before, but I just got my first batch of chicks since moving to the country. I cannot afford a bunch of fencing, nor do I see the point in keeping chickens in a run all day. If I wanted eggs from confined hens, I could just go to a store. I want my birds to live off the land for the most part. Yet coyotes pass through here frequently, even during the day. Bald eagles are around too. I even worry about our cat. She's a pretty good hunter. Sadly I cannot have a rooster per on-site landlady's request. So I did my research, and I figured I wanted alert, lightweight, flighty breeds of non-white plumage that I thought would have the best chance of free ranging successfully, and I also wanted a good feed to egg ratio. I went with 4 brown Leghorn, 2 Ancona, 1 blue Hamburg, and 1 EE. Supposedly they are all females (I hope). Our property is 5 acres, mostly wooded, with a lot of brush, and some clearing. There are plenty of places for cover. I can't afford to keep a large flock (8 is the max for now), so if I get any losses, I was thinking of trying to find a couple Egyptian Fayoumis hens or some kind of game breed, something that will make a racket whenever predators are near, like a substitute rooster.

Any tips from experienced free-rangers? Does my scenario seem sustainable? I don't mind replenishing birds occasionally, but I don't have the time or money to be raising chicks constantly. How do you find their eggs, especially with the "wilder" type breeds? Do y'all think I could possibly train a dog to perform such a task? We're getting a dog pretty soon, probably before we get any eggs, some type of herding breed, I hope. It will be a rescue.

Last edited:
There are times even the most ardent free ranger will have to lock his chickens up. One of those times is training them to use nest boxes. Even when trained they will steal a nest somewhere that you will stumble upon or they might bring you a few chicks...

IMHO everyone needs a small covered run to keep them in now and then. You need to be able to accept losses. I lose about 30% of my layer flock during the year. I have a large eagle population that loves chicken. I try to keep my dogs lazy butt outside with the chickens. BUT they are lazy and hate to be bothered with going outside or leaving the doorstep. I hatch extra chicks knowing I will not have them all come winter.

I have two periods of the year that are worse for predators. Spring once the eagle chicks hatch, and then in Sept/Oct when the young start to hunt, chickens are easier to catch than wild game.

Also I do not let them out until later in the morning. 9-10 so they are not out during the morning hunt period.

Roosters help but Eagles will take them too. Make sure you have lots of cover for them.

Good luck

So I have raised chickens in the city before, but I just got my first batch of chicks since moving to the country. I cannot afford a bunch of fencing, nor do I see the point in keeping chickens in a run all day. If I wanted eggs from confined hens, I could just go to a store. I want my birds to live off the land for the most part. Yet coyotes pass through here frequently, even during the day. Bald eagles are around too. I even worry about our cat. She's a pretty good hunter. Sadly I cannot have a rooster per on-site landlady's request. So I did my research, and I figured I wanted alert, lightweight, flighty breeds of non-white plumage that I thought would have the best chance of free ranging successfully, and I also wanted a good feed to egg ratio. I went with 4 brown Leghorn, 2 Ancona, 1 blue Hamburg, and 1 EE. Supposedly they are all females (I hope). Our property is 5 acres, mostly wooded, with a lot of brush, and some clearing. There are plenty of places for cover. I can't afford to keep a large flock (8 is the max for now), so if I get any losses, I was thinking of trying to find a couple Egyptian Fayoumis hens or some kind of game breed, something that will make a racket whenever predators are near, like a substitute rooster.

Any tips from experienced free-rangers? Does my scenario seem sustainable? I don't mind replenishing birds occasionally, but I don't have the time or money to be raising chicks constantly. How do you find their eggs, especially with the "wilder" type breeds? Do y'all think I could possibly train a dog to perform such a task? We're getting a dog pretty soon, probably before we get any eggs, some type of herding breed, I hope. It will be a rescue.

Since you only have 8, I'd still lock them up in a secure coop at night, and I agree with the above suggestions.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom