Keeping Chickens Free Range

Thanks, V, She has made tremendous progress, seems so much happier.
bow.gif
I have a community question: I have 5 chicks, About a month old now. They've been enjoying the 4 hen hutch during the daytime. When do you think Is a good age to let them OUT To play?
I free range FULLY, NO coop for my older 2. Opinions? Ralph? I'm working on getting them to come when called. Older hen does, they will likely follow suit, she seems smitten on them...But...
caf.gif

I would wait till 8 to 12 weeks but you need to watch them when you first let them out ...

Thanks, V, She has made tremendous progress, seems so much happier. :bow I have a community question: I have 5 chicks, About a month old now. They've been enjoying the 4 hen hutch during the daytime. When do you think Is a good age to let them OUT To play? I free range FULLY, NO coop for my older 2. Opinions? Ralph? I'm working on getting them to come when called. Older hen does, they will likely follow suit, she seems smitten on them...But...:caf
No coop at all at night?? Mine would be eaten in hurry. If you are supervising, they can go out pretty much anytime if they have a mama. Otherwise, I'd wait for warmer temps to make sure they don't get too cold; bring right back when cold.

I usually (if there is no mama) put mine in a dog crate during the day right in the middle of where the free rangers spend some time. So that they see the newcomers and can get used to them. I do this for about two days and then start letting them out. If the others can see and smell them good in the coop you have them in then it might work the same way. The weather is a consideration, too. I have used the cat carrier inside the dog crate with the pet heating pad underneath the carrier. It all depends on the age and how many chicks and I'm sure there are other things I'm not thinking of right now.

Thought I'd jump in here. I've recently been forced to let my hens full time free range:

They've done exceptionally well, and my feed bill has basically gone down to zero. The only reason it's not is because I insist on offering them some feed every day, apparently because I like watching them leave it on the ground and waste it.

I just finished demolishing the old coop, and I will be building the new coop with free ranging in mind. It will still have a pen, as I have two chicken eating dogs, so I need to be able to separate the creatures. I tested them with my one non-chicken eater, and they really don't try hard to get away from him. Boo. Oh well.

My one other worry was hawks, but we have witnessed them successfully take cover from one overhead. Yay!

So once the coop is built, I will be penning them up for a few days to get them laying in the house again (I can't for the life of me find my leghorn's nest). And then my plan is to shut them in at bed time, and then let them out after the dogs have been put up after morning chores. I'm pretty pleased with how the new set up will run!

Waiting on the new coop to be built: :lol:

Thought I'd jump in here. I've recently been forced to let my hens full time free range:

They've done exceptionally well, and my feed bill has basically gone down to zero. The only reason it's not is because I insist on offering them some feed every day, apparently because I like watching them leave it on the ground and waste it.

I just finished demolishing the old coop, and I will be building the new coop with free ranging in mind. It will still have a pen, as I have two chicken eating dogs, so I need to be able to separate the creatures. I tested them with my one non-chicken eater, and they really don't try hard to get away from him. Boo. Oh well.

My one other worry was hawks, but we have witnessed them successfully take cover from one overhead. Yay!

So once the coop is built, I will be penning them up for a few days to get them laying in the house again (I can't for the life of me find my leghorn's nest). And then my plan is to shut them in at bed time, and then let them out after the dogs have been put up after morning chores. I'm pretty pleased with how the new set up will run!

Waiting on the new coop to be built: :lol:

I put some chicken feed into a large water dish for my birds. It works great because they cannot kick it out and this way I know exactly how much they eat, low waste. I just put the feed pan by the water pan and if they want to little feed they have access. My cats eat it more then my chickens do :/

I put some chicken feed into a large water dish for my birds. It works great because they cannot kick it out and this way I know exactly how much they eat, low waste. I just put the feed pan by the water pan and if they want to little feed they have access. My cats eat it more then my chickens do :/

That's a good thought. Generally the pig comes behind and cleans up, so I guess it doesn't *really* go to waste lol. You can see him in the picture behind the leghorn. Actually he's probably eating the chicken feed :lol:

Thanks, V, She has made tremendous progress, seems so much happier.
bow.gif
I have a community question: I have 5 chicks, About a month old now. They've been enjoying the 4 hen hutch during the daytime. When do you think Is a good age to let them OUT To play?
I free range FULLY, NO coop for my older 2. Opinions? Ralph? I'm working on getting them to come when called. Older hen does, they will likely follow suit, she seems smitten on them...But...
caf.gif

I can beat you having to call yours!

I do not have to say a word, I just step out the door with a bowl in my hand and they come running...

I can beat you having to call yours!

I do not have to say a word, I just step out the door with a bowl in my hand and they come running...

Ha ha! Mine do the same thing. I've had visitors step out the back door with me and then turn and step back in when they see the whole flock bearing down on us! I've got 31 total.

Well, they did fine.
celebrate.gif
We were close to 70 today. I had to chase the yr old kitten with the broom a couple of times. Sure enough, despite me having tried to corner them, Midday, they were at the back door as the sun dropped below the mountain. I was inside most of the time, listening. The Bantam Roo fussed at them for a bit, Maybe I have a Roo within the 5 of them. Sorry, got lazy, No pictures.
They spent a good deal of time under the back porch, perhaps KNOWING they were Prime targets for the Owl I sometimes hear.. After all the time I've had them in the 4 hen hutch, surprised they gathered at the back door. I put a ramp up for them to come out the hutch, why not back in?
40% chance of rain, tomorrow, more on the way, will have to see about more play days.
D.gif
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom