Keeping Chickens Free Range

I free range my flock of 13 adults and 5 chicks daily, as long as someone is around to keep an eye on them. 5 hens are Dominiques, 5 are buff orps. They have been free ranging for all of their 2 years with no predator issues.
smile.png
I also have a white leghorn hen and a white leghorn mix hen, as well as a golden comet/BR mix roo. They are all very aware of what's going on, but I would really recommend the orpingtons and Dominiques for free range. They are friendly, and they both lay nice light brown eggs.

The 5 chicks are mixes from what I have. They were raised under a broody and she takes them around the yard without much issue.

Thanks for the suggestions, I feel this was the wrong question to ask, I am going to get different answers from everyone! :)

My chickens and ducks free range during the morning and day light hours but due to predators I put them in at night, I always feed them before letting them out in the morning and feed again to get them back in the coop at night. I think it gives them the extra boost they need and keeps them somewhat protected from disease and illness. I am always able to catch them and look them over to ensure they are doing well

You are right everyone has their favorites. The Dominique and Barr Rock are closely related...I think Barr Rocks came from the Dominique line.
Just look for a breed that is more self reliant, there are many.

You are right everyone has their favorites. The Dominique and Barr Rock are closely related...I think Barr Rocks came from the Dominique line.

The only thing i have ever seen deter afox is getting shot. Anything short of that and they just consider your challenge accepted.

I think I am more looking for predator awareness than self sustainability, I am looking into leghorns at the moment

I have some leghorns, they are not dual purpose.
The thing about self sustainability is they tend to be more capable. Attacks happen but the quicker more able birds are the most likely to survive.
Lol you could always look into Guineas

Back
Top Bottom