Keeping Chickens Free Range

The number of boxes doesn't equate number of chickens, necessarily. It depends on the amount of space you have in the coop, a good rule of thumb I've heard is between 3-5 square feet per hen, depending on their size (3 for bantys, 5 for heavy standard breeds). However, it's a good idea to have 1 box per 2-3 birds, in my opinion. About the risk of free ranging, there is always going to be a chance of predators no matter the circumstances. Some breeds are particularly good for evading becoming dinner, but I can't remember which ones. Do a little research and you should find more info.
You have SOME of us, slobbering in Jealousy that your place CAME with a hen house!! I have only had the one Hutch. Most of my past chickens have slept in the trees, on the back porch, etc. THIS year, I have had 5 Pullets gathering inside a 3 hen hutch. Last night, NOT surprising, one set on the back porch. I'm guessing I don't get up, to let them out, early enough for her. 16 weeks, On Friday. Going to have to start hiking for eggs!!!
roll.png
My Physical Therapist LOVES the idea I have hens...
lol.png

I have a question. We want to free range our chickens in our front fenced in yard but their coop and run is out back with,a pool and out building in between. How can we train them to go the front yard and then come back to the coop at night? I have been taking them to this area for the past 4 days by hand but it's a bit aggravating and time consuming.
If it's ALL fenced in, let them find their own way. Can they get to the front yard on their own? Sprinkle bread as you walk from where they set, to where you want them to free range. I'm sure some folks have Trained' their chickens to do some things but, I'm with you, TOO TIME Consuming!

I have a question. We want to free range our chickens in our front fenced in yard but their coop and run is out back with,a pool and out building in between. How can we train them to go the front yard and then come back to the coop at night? I have been taking them to this area for the past 4 days by hand but it's a bit aggravating and time consuming.

Chickens like most animals employ imprinting on locations to navigate their environment. It is not magic or simply what chickens do with no logic.

First your chickens need to be imprinted on coop location. Keep them penned in it for a couple days without release, then release them late in so they can explore around coop for a bit before urge to roost brings them back before they have time to get lost. Following day release early and place a feeding station in location you want them to go. Do not leave feed in areas you do not want them to go. This is oversimplyfied as birds will also be taking into account cover / loafing areas. Most people do not immediately have a handle on features in a free-range area the birds like. You have to figure that out by observation. If areas you do not want birds to linger in have better cover and are relatively close to food then you job will be very difficult.

Just need a little clarification....you want them to range the front yard but not the back yard wherein the coop is located? If so, you'll need to construct them a fence/tunnel from one place to the other and a barrier between the back and front yard in order for them to range just that place. If not and you just want them to range into the front yard as well as the back, they will get there eventually....just give them time and they will discover that area all on their own.

Last edited:
Chickens like most animals employ imprinting on locations to navigate their environment. It is not magic or simply what chickens do with no logic.

First your chickens need to be imprinted on coop location. Keep them penned in it for a couple days without release, then release them late in so they can explore around coop for a bit before urge to roost brings them back before they have time to get lost. Following day release early and place a feeding station in location you want them to go. Do not leave feed in areas you do not want them to go. This is oversimplyfied as birds will also be taking into account cover / loafing areas. Most people do not immediately have a handle on features in a free-range area the birds like. You have to figure that out by observation. If areas you do not want birds to linger in have better cover and are relatively close to food then you job will be very difficult.

Thanks I've been working on it. They now come running when they see me at their gate. So tonight I will begin letting them out around the outside of their home and run area and hopefully in a week or 2 they'll be able to do their thing and come and go

Several options: chicken tunnels built of chicken wire to direct birds where you want them to go. Google and should pop up with how to etc...
Treats at end of tunnel encourage them to go where you want them to go. Of course anything new will take some time. Use treats along the way to encourage them to explore tunnel.

Same routine for just moving them as you walk along dropping treats. It might take a few more days of you carrying them, but don't carry them the entire way. Set them down a bit short each time and then lure them on with treats. Remember, chickens are prey animals so them are very suspicious of changes. At roost time, use treats and go back to the coop. Really young birds are pretty timid about going out in open, too. Broody raised are more brave as momma shepherds them about the place. The incubator birds, though, won't get out and roam much until they are more than two months old.

My birds will do anything in the world for fresh corn. I catch it on sale at grocery and fill the freezer full. I semi thaw it with some warm water. Use a call specific to what you want them to do so they learn to associate the call with behavior. My birds know that when they hear the metal trash can lids rattle somebody is going to be fed something. Might be them, might be the dog, might be the goats, but somewhere food is coming. There can be zero visible and rattle that trash can and 40 birds at your feet in seconds.

Make sure there are places to hide from hawks, too.

Back
Top Bottom