Keeping chickens from eating house? How to discourage chickens from certain areas

I was thinking more window screening. I'm not even sure if they make metal screening anymore - but I think you're right that hardware cloth they'd probably peck through.

Could also do two layers of hardware cloth - cutting one on the bias- but that seems like a LOT of work. I'd try the toughest window screening you can buy.

I was thinking more window screening. I'm not even sure if they make metal screening anymore - but I think you're right that hardware cloth they'd probably peck through.

Could also do two layers of hardware cloth - cutting one on the bias- but that seems like a LOT of work. I'd try the toughest window screening you can buy.

I'll definitely look into it! And since I only need a 4-6" strip a roll should go a decently long way. I guess I'd just glue it into place? Hmm, I'll have to think more about that. We didn't even realize it wasn't 'real' concrete until we chipped it with the weedwhacker. Who knew it was a thing?

A thick mortar with vermiculite or perlite mixed in should cover it and harden up enough to stop them from eating it.

Spread it on with a trowel. Is flexible and light (vermiculite makes it extremely light but tough) and shouldn’t hold moisture behind it like a board would. Might take a little time but not sure what else to offer to stop them from eating it or using something that holds moisture against the house.

I'll definitely look into it! And since I only need a 4-6" strip a roll should go a decently long way. I guess I'd just glue it into place? Hmm, I'll have to think more about that. We didn't even realize it wasn't 'real' concrete until we chipped it with the weedwhacker. Who knew it was a thing?

I'd cut some 2x2s/1x3s, mount those to the Styrofoam about every 4 feet, and then screw the screen into the wood with 1" screws. In fact, you might even be able to get away with hardware cloth doing that, since the material would be an inch or two away from the house.

Though, if your girls are determined - and the ringleader looks determined - you might come out to find beaks stuck in the grid to get at that delicious, delicious styro.

We've got a piece of pink styro under a big kiddie pool we set out for the summer. Couldn't believe it the day they found it - I came out and the yard is covered in little pink bits. Every time we let them out to free range, off they run to eat some more literal garbage.

As to the house - never heard of it! But I feel like every house has a couple things where you walk around going, "ok, why'd they do *that*?"

I would like to stress again that I'm not a builder or a contractor - just suggesting what I'd try if it were me! Good luck - they are tenacious little beasts.

My chickens discovered there is styrofoam insulation under the vinyl siding on my house and they decided to begin devouring it. Fortunately they only free range in the backyard so I put plastic mesh fencing at the base in the backyard area of my house so they can’t reach the insulation. I think the styrofoam taste similar to meal worms. Good luck with that.

I'd cut some 2x2s/1x3s, mount those to the Styrofoam about every 4 feet, and then screw the screen into the wood with 1" screws. In fact, you might even be able to get away with hardware cloth doing that, since the material would be an inch or two away from the house.

Though, if your girls are determined - and the ringleader looks determined - you might come out to find beaks stuck in the grid to get at that delicious, delicious styro.

We've got a piece of pink styro under a big kiddie pool we set out for the summer. Couldn't believe it the day they found it - I came out and the yard is covered in little pink bits. Every time we let them out to free range, off they run to eat some more literal garbage.

As to the house - never heard of it! But I feel like every house has a couple things where you walk around going, "ok, why'd they do *that*?"

I would like to stress again that I'm not a builder or a contractor - just suggesting what I'd try if it were me! Good luck - they are tenacious little beasts.
I'm actually not sure I can screw anything into the styrofoam - should be a block of concrete under there, not sure if they literally glued the sheet styrofoam to the concrete.

Maybe I just put the world's shortest 4 inch fence all the way around my house with chopstick fence posts?? :p

Back
Top Bottom