Keeping chickens from eating house? How to discourage chickens from certain areas

I realize the obvious answer to this is fencing a dedicated chicken run, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other ideas.

The concrete foundation of my house is covered with sheet styrofoam insulation, painted over with a concrete-like coating. Unfortunately, the chickens have realized that it is obviously a fun source of their favorite food - styrofoam. :(

They are currently allowed to free range most of the day over our fenced acre property - our house is located in the center of the property, so to keep the chickens away from the house would involve either fencing them in a dedicated chicken run, or fencing the entire perimeter of the house. We enjoy having the chickens out in the yard, and the dogs run around with them for a good portion of the day and (hopefully) deter predators. We have 4 pullets at the moment.

The problem started when there were some chips in the grey concrete coating, exposing the tasty blue styrofoam. I've tried recoating the foam, but they pull off the paint to get at the foam now that they know it's there. :barnie

Ideas to deter them from this area? It's about a 4 inch border around the base of the house, some bordering dirt, some bordering concrete.

Have you tried the garden hose on a soft spray setting. My birds hate getting wet.

Lol. I must have some relatives of your chickens. Our workshop has styrofoam as part of the foundation walls. Because of the slope of the land, we have quite a lot styrofoam showing.

I will post picture tomorrow, of what our chickens have done...When I free range them, I "lead" them to an area away from the shop. Otherwise, they immediately run over and start snacking on the foundation.

I'm not currently free ranging them. But have tried to block the area off with a downed pine tree limb. Also considered spraying it with something that taste bad or using those little white fence panels that are used as edging.

I had a problem with my free range chickens jumping on my deck and eating my succulents and nesting in my fern. My son decided to bring the hose with spray nozzle on the deck stationed near by. The first time they came on the deck they got sprayed. A week later they tried again and were sprayed. They have not been back since.
Have you tried the garden hose on a soft spray setting. My birds hate getting wet.
A hose won’t keep determined chickens away from a tasty snack forever. Mine have destroyed my mom’s marigolds, even though they’re already fenced in, and I’ve sprayed them several times but they keep coming back. And if you don’t catch it every time they won’t learn.

What about a fine metal mesh/screening cut and attached around the base of the house - would still allow expansion/contraction of the concrete but would prevent (?) pecking. At least successful pecking.

Can attest that, once they get a taste for it, they're going to find it unless it's covered.

The pictured culprit is extremely cute.

Edit: I see we've had the same idea. I think if you get something fine enough, you could probably mount to the affected area? (I'm thinking furring strips at regular intervals attached to the styro with liquid nails; screw into the furring to not damage the foundation.) *I am not a contractor!*
What is it with styrofoam and chickens?? Our hens nearly ate an entire foam kayak cushion for a car's roof rack before we realized what they were into. Fortunately they managed to survive.

I plead ignorance too. I do appraisal work and renovate housing. I've never seen styrofoam over the edge of a concrete slab that I know of. Taking wood to the ground can cause rotting from water but covering it with vinyl siding wouldn't invite insects or rot. Another consideration is that styrofoam doesn't digest I would think. I had trouble with the chickens getting on my old deck. When I replaced it I didn't want them up there pooping all the time so I put rails around the deck. Then I went through a period of chasing them with a broom every time I caught them on the porch. They caught the drift after a while.
I would probably cut some hardware cloth to size and then use the concrete covering stuff to hide it. If it was cut tight pressure might hold it there. Or I'd invest in some fencing a few posts at a time till I got it done.

Here's two pictures of the shop foundation. Showing evidence of lots of good meals have been had. :th

Also included a pic of our house, which has had the styrofoam removed. We actually had plans to "tile" the exposed cement, but realized there is not much concrete showing, in some locations. So have never done the tiling.

Our builder used premade permanenet styrofoam forms that have black plastic holders...you then put the rebar in the holders and pour concrete.

Attachments

• 20200919_074808.jpg
    20200919_074808.jpg
    713.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200919_074831.jpg
    20200919_074831.jpg
    702.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200919_075142.jpg
    20200919_075142.jpg
    596.7 KB · Views: 12
I realize the obvious answer to this is fencing a dedicated chicken run, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other ideas.

The concrete foundation of my house is covered with sheet styrofoam insulation, painted over with a concrete-like coating. Unfortunately, the chickens have realized that it is obviously a fun source of their favorite food - styrofoam. :(

They are currently allowed to free range most of the day over our fenced acre property - our house is located in the center of the property, so to keep the chickens away from the house would involve either fencing them in a dedicated chicken run, or fencing the entire perimeter of the house. We enjoy having the chickens out in the yard, and the dogs run around with them for a good portion of the day and (hopefully) deter predators. We have 4 pullets at the moment.

The problem started when there were some chips in the grey concrete coating, exposing the tasty blue styrofoam. I've tried recoating the foam, but they pull off the paint to get at the foam now that they know it's there. :barnie

Ideas to deter them from this area? It's about a 4 inch border around the base of the house, some bordering dirt, some bordering concrete.
A layer of 1/4" hardware cloth covered by a layer of lattice, leaving enough space between layers so their little beaks can't reach the styrofoam. Personally, I love the look of lattice along the base of a house - very gardeny.

Back
Top Bottom