Keeping Chickens from Flying out of fenced in run?

HippieAtHeart

Peace, Love & Chickens ✌️
Mar 22, 2020
Southeastern Pennsylvania
I have about a 4 foot fence around my run. Lately my Rhode Island blue has flown out of it twice. We have dogs and let them out as the chicken house and run are within our fenced in half acre. So far it’s just that pullet, but I have a feeling my other 2 pullets might try eventually too. I obviously don’t want them to get hurt and my dogs will kill them given the opportunity.

Should I put netting over it? (About 20x20ft run) Or should I just clip the wings of my trouble pullet and any others that try to fly over?

I really just don’t want them to get hurt, any suggestions are appreciated!

I have a covered 20'x20' run to protect them from areal attacks and the weather, I used metal roof sheets.
Netting isn't a bad idea.
Do you happen to have a picture of the roofing? I would consider it, I just know that material can be pricey. My coop and run set up is interesting because I have a predator proof smaller run that’s fully enclosed and wire Dug down over a foot that they can use before I let them out, but added the additional run because they needed more space since we got more. My chickens I first got are orpingtons and older and just don’t really like to use their wings... these pullets on the other hand like to fly all around lol

I use netting to protect my chickens from eagles and hawks. They can't fly out of it either. You should clip her wing until you can get a cover over the run, if you choose to do so.
I had thought about covering before but didn’t just because I didn’t think they needed it. We have hawks and eagles but they have a lot of coverage and not a lot of open area where a predator could get them. They spend most their day under the bushes planted in there. I’m definitely thinking about netting it, but will clip her wings I guess. I can’t help it but I feel nervous about doing it...I’ll have to start my rabbit hole of researching and video watching lol

Do you happen to have a picture of the roofing? I would consider it, I just know that material can be pricey. My coop and run set up is interesting because I have a predator proof smaller run that’s fully enclosed and wire Dug down over a foot that they can use before I let them out, but added the additional run because they needed more space since we got more. My chickens I first got are orpingtons and older and just don’t really like to use their wings... these pullets on the other hand like to fly all around lol
The run roof is covered under snow right now, hopefully this picture will work. My sister found her metal roofing for free from the neighbor taking down an old shed.

C3C89AFE-7A84-47CD-911F-A702009B9CA7.jpeg

The run roof is covered under snow right now, hopefully this picture will work. My sister found her metal roofing for free from the neighbor taking down an old shed.

View attachment 2382105
That looks so nice. I know my chickens would like to have some coverage from rain other than under or in the coop. Maybe I’ll do mix that and some netting to cut costs unless I could find some for free like your sister did. That’s awesome she got that! Thanks for the picture

Back
Top Bottom