Keeping chickens in a garage???

Jan 19, 2021
Hello! I am brand new here- I know nothing about chickens or birds in general. I'm not even sure if this is the right place to post this question. I know that I love to eat eggs and I have been curious about chicken keeping for awhile now. I want to try as much as possible to grow my own food (as many people do) and chicken keeping seems to be a great way to do that. I am currently in the process of learning and have not yet committed to keeping chickens. I am mostly just looking into it, to see if it would be doable for me.

Which brings me here, with this question....

I live in a community which has essentially outlawed backyard chickens (4K to apply for a permit, you have to have a hearing. Ridiculous- I thought I lived in America. Oh well.) I asked the lady at the land use office what was the city's position on indoor only chickens. She didn't really have an answer, although she said she thought it would likely be ok as long as they were only hens. I emailed the land-use manager, so I will get a final answer on this soon. But I'm left wondering...would this be cruel? I have a large 2-car garage, and a tiny micro-sedan which only takes up 1/3 of the garage. There would be plenty of room to build a big, safe chicken run and a really nice little chicken house for them to roost in. There is a window with a screen I can open for ventilation, and I can check on them whenever I want to, it would probably encourage me to keep their quarters extra clean so the smell doesn't overwhelm my house. I am only interested in keeping 3-4 hens.

But I'm wondering, would this be wrong or cruel? It seems a little artificial, but I would take good care of them and give them enrichment. I don't let my kitties go outside because the world is too dangerous, so to me it doesn't seem cruel- but then again I don't know jerk shot about chickens. So here I am asking this....has anyone heard of garage chickens?

Honestly, it is at least better than if the chickens were kept in cages in high producing farms. So why not...but chickens LOVE to dig and forage. So if possible I would definitely take them out to have some sun and enjoy foraging. Because like most animals, sunlight is very healthy for them. I also have something else to consider. Chickens need light to lay eggs. So they need daylight, or some sort of lamp or else they wont lay eggs. Thats why when the days are shorter in the winter, they do not lay as much, and sometimes none at all. For example my chickens, who free range all day long, except maybe a 10:00 am or noon (cause hawks and vultures come out at this time), during winter lays 1 egg a day from 11 hens.

I live in a community which has essentially outlawed backyard chickens (4K to apply for a permit, you have to have a hearing.
HOA?

I would not keep chickens in a garage that has running engines in it.
Doesn't take much exhaust to kill a bird.
They need to be on the ground outside with fresh air, IMO.

I have been raising chicks this winter. They are staying in my two-car, insulated garage until the weather warms up. I wanted spring eggs so we got chicks in November.

Honestly, I wouldn’t want them there full time. Mine are only 10 weeks old and they make a lot of dust and I also feel they wouldn’t get what they need in terms of foraging, fresh air, and space. Once they’re full grown I think they will be even more cramped. Bantams might be OK? Mine will be large when full grown, they are bigger breeds.

I think it might be a nuisance, but if you feel really strongly about it, I’m sure it is possible to make it work long term.

edit to add: we do not keep our cars in the garage while the chicks are in there - they’d be terrified by the noise, not to mention the exhaust would be very harmful to their delicate respiratory systems.

Honestly, I would work on getting your city to change its ordnance - this forum has some good resources for that.

But in the meantime, some things to consider: as has already been mentioned, they would do much better with natural lighting.

Also, digging/dustbaths. Can you provide a plastic kid's pool full of dirt or sand? Do you mind if they kick it all OUT of the pool?

Would you consider starting with smaller bantam breeds rather than full-size breeds, at least until you can get the city to change its mind?

And keep in mind that even if you do get the ordnance changed, your HOA (if you live in one) might still say no.

I agree that it sounds like better conditions than a factory farm has, but fresh air/light may be the biggest hurdle.

Chickens generate a tremendous amount of dust from feather dander, scratching up their bedding, dried poop, etc. This dust would get on EVERYTHING in your garage.

Additionally, it would be almost impossible to adequately ventilate a garage short of leaving the garage bay door open at all times, day and night, whether you're home or away.

More and more towns are changing their restrictive regulations. It would be best to work toward that change rather than attempt to keep farm animals indoors. :)

Chickens generate a tremendous amount of dust from feather dander, scratching up their bedding, dried poop, etc. This dust would get on EVERYTHING in your garage.
OhYeah....the dust is craycray!!

Additionally, it would be almost impossible to adequately ventilate a garage short of leaving the garage bay door open at all times, day and night, whether you're home or away.
Ditto Dat!

Back
Top Bottom