Keeping Chickens in the yard

Motts

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 15, 2013
Not sure if I am posting in the correct thread but here if goes. I have 4 chickens in a an enclosed coop and run. I like to let them out into my back yard to forage and have lots of free time. My yard is just under 1 acre. For the first year they stayed in the yard and often under the trees for protection. This winter they have been ranging out more and now love to go under the fence and into the front yard. There is lots of natural clover there, I think that is what tempted them at first. Now I can't keep them in. Within 10 minutes they will be in the front yard. We are in a fairly suburban area so lots of strangers, dogs etc. The fence is a cattle gate which is wired so they can not jump through it, but it is on a slope so they can just go under it.

Does anyone know if there is a something I can attach or put under the gate to at least try to keep them in?

Thanks,
Motts

Maybe you could put in a little netting at the bottom of the gate, so that it can keep the chickens in but when you pull the gate open is agile enough to sweep along the ground with you? Or maybe cinder blocks, or ruby red bricks, or a piece of wood, or rocks? At least that's what I would do. I had to do a something similar to one of my gates. It had a very big space beneath it where the chickens just waltz right through so I ended up finding a perfect piece of metal to block it off. Now they can no longer fit and it still looks stylish. It's a tiny bit of a hassle to step over it for guests I'd imagine (which is actually a bonus for me - people try to sneak in unannounced and it throws them off). It was a pretty big gap, but I have no problem walking over it everyday myself.
For you I'd imagine you'd probably not have such a walking problem if you laid a border of something under it?
Plus if it was slightly an uncomfortable stepping over level you could make yourself steps as well.
~ Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom