Keeping Chickens Off Back Porch

We have a railing around the porch, but they scoot under the gates or fly over the railing. I shoo them off with a broom or squirt water at them when they roost on the railing, but all to no avail! I do like the idea, however, that they are nearby for my watchful eyes especially since I know that I have a fox in the area. We have about 150 chickens, turkeys, and guinea fowl, along with a lovely pair of Snowy Call Ducks, that free-range on our 1.5 acre yard and in our 5 acre corn field and garden. Bruce

The squirt bottle sounds like a good plan for me. I'll try that when I'm home for a few days in the row. At least I'm not alone......Good to read all the feedback.

I know this thread is really old but maybe people will have some new ideas!!! Our chickens are getting up on our back porch more and more often, we never feed them from the porch or near it and if they are up there and we catch them we shoo them off. My DH is threatening dinner if they don't change this behavior. The porch is 4ft off the ground and they are both coming up the steps and flying up around the edges coming through the railing. Aside from shooting them with a water gun or hose any other suggestions to keep them off? They have 4 acres they pretty much stick to but have access to 30 acres. Idk what they seem to like about the porch... if it is the protection from elements they could get under the porch, vehicles or in their coop or in the duck pen for that matter.

Any suggestions??

Back
Top Bottom