Keeping Chickens warm

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickenWhisper0, Nov 27, 2013.

1. ChickenWhisper0

ChickenWhisper0 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2013
    Middle Tennessee
    Hey Guys,

I just have a quick question. So i have full grown birds (probably about 9 months old) and this is their first winter. Normally I wouldn't do this, but a temperatures have dropped sharply. Normally we have like 30 degree nights, but tonight it is supposed to get down to 10 degrees, therefore I ran an extension cord out to the coop to keep them a little warmer. So my question is, Will this red heat lamp keep them up all night?

2. Tambo26

Tambo26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Orrington, MAINE
    Honestly, I wouldn't put a heat lamp out there. What a terrible thing if your coop caught fire and those poor birds were trapped. They will be fine, fine, fine. As long as they are in a coop and there are no drafts, they will be fine. I worry about my girls being cold too but I have to remind myself that they are birds and they are well equipped for the cold weather. I get it though! I get it! :)
    Happy Thanksgiving!

3. whittychick

whittychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    I agree I wouldn't add a heat lamp either. I am experiencing the situation...i feel like an overprotected mom! this is my first winter with my chickens, 2 are 8 months and 10 are 4 months old. My temps have been down to 7 degrees some nights. And they are happy as can be! No drafts but plenty of air flowing threw! Good luck and happy thanksgiving!

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I agree with the above posters, given a draft-free coop and plenty of food and water your down-coated hens will keep themselves warm. Heat lamps increase the risk of fire, and can have other issues - if your birds become acclimated to the heat and your power goes off, what then? They also actually make frostbite more likely in some situations, as they increase the moisture content of the air without necessarily keeping it above freezing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by