Keeping Chickens When You Have Arthritis.

Pics
Do you have special shoes to prevent further foot drop?
With my arthritis I can’t wear any form of heel anymore- just flats with good support and cushion. Has made life full of accommodations :hugs
I have about 70% motion with the foot so a brace would not help. I do wear trail running shoes though. They have a good grip and are more stable for walking.

I might need to have the tendon lengthened but am waiting until retirement for that--If I need it. I get along ok though. Most just think I have a bit of a limp

@Kfults, I am so sorry your friends aren't more understanding. Me being me, if somebody said that to me I'd look them straight in the eye and say 'You and what army?'

You don't need that type of stress, it is detrimental to your well being and could be aggravating your flair.

Like you I am starting the methotrexate at a super low dose. Bump it up by a quarter of a cc this weekend.

As far as the shoes are concerned, I usually wear New Balance, @ronott1. They offer my feet a lot of support, but lately they have even been bothering my feet. Going barefoot feels good around the house but I usually suffer the next day. Two days ago I put on my ankle height farm boots. They are big and clunky and heavy as all get out but my feet were definitely happy that day.

On the chicken front. Got my two feed garbage cans moved to the coop today. Need to fasten down the cable to keep the varmints out but it's done and I don't know why I didn't do it before.

Thanks for the suggestion everyone.

@Kfults, I am so sorry your friends aren't more understanding. Me being me, if somebody said that to me I'd look them straight in the eye and say 'You and what army?'

You don't need that type of stress, it is detrimental to your well being and could be aggravating your flair.

Like you I am starting the methotrexate at a super low dose. Bump it up by a quarter of a cc this weekend.

As far as the shoes are concerned, I usually wear New Balance, @ronott1. They offer my feet a lot of support, but lately they have even been bothering my feet. Going barefoot feels good around the house but I usually suffer the next day. Two days ago I put on my ankle height farm boots. They are big and clunky and heavy as all get out but my feet were definitely happy that day.

On the chicken front. Got my two feed garbage cans moved to the coop today. Need to fasten down the cable to keep the varmints out but it's done and I don't know why I didn't do it before.

Thanks for the suggestion everyone.
Thanks for the shoe tip! I will look and new balance for the next pair

I actually had my left arch break several years ago podiatrist had me wear Reebocks but go to Keds for chickens in dry weather muck boots when it is rainy BF placed pavers from the door to inside the dry of the coop I have a small yard on the front of my coop we had a huge front run it was falling down we had fenced the are to garden other side of the coop dismantled most the old run gave the chickens almost a 1/4 acre to run periodically
the guys take a gas a wed eater chop down some really tall weeds they have a big party in the cuttings but truthfully with pneumonia on board I have slept first day I feel a bit stronger and really got sleep last night

I actually had my left arch break several years ago podiatrist had me wear Reebocks but go to Keds for chickens in dry weather muck boots when it is rainy BF placed pavers from the door to inside the dry of the coop I have a small yard on the front of my coop we had a huge front run it was falling down we had fenced the are to garden other side of the coop dismantled most the old run gave the chickens almost a 1/4 acre to run periodically
the guys take a gas a wed eater chop down some really tall weeds they have a big party in the cuttings but truthfully with pneumonia on board I have slept first day I feel a bit stronger and really got sleep last night
Good news on feeling better!

Thanks I am very excited fully dressed will wear a mask but think it may do my well to head back to the girls need to look at insurance options with my medicare heading into a spend down as they call it on medicaid come the third of September 4th is my BF's 72
b-day

@ronott1 the tip on the New Balance came from my podiatrist. He also mentioned Asicx brand. He said they offered support for unstable feet.

Go directly to the New Balance site to buy shoes. They are cheaper than the outlets.

Penny, glad you are feeling better. Pneumonia takes a while to get over.

@ronott1 the tip on the New Balance came from my podiatrist. He also mentioned Asicx brand. He said they offered support for unstable feet.

Go directly to the New Balance site to buy shoes. They are cheaper than the outlets.

Penny, glad you are feeling better. Pneumonia takes a while to get over.

More like me never sat still to long but smart enough to know my bounds just now

Welcome @oceansunset73.I suffer from back pain also mainly due to a scoliosis along with the OA so I completely empathize with you.:hugs I use my wagon with collapsing sides to slide 50 pound feed bags out of our van. I can lift and carry for short periods of time. A lady who works down at the local MFA showed me how to squat and bear hug bags in order to carry them around.

Sometimes the back pain is so bad I'm in tears.

@lionchow, welcome! Are you referring to the new cold lasers?

@penny1960, sorry to hear about the chick. What's going on with it?

Y'all need to read about Egg Shell Membrane supplements. The doc wants me to start them. I have been reading about them for today and as weird as they sound, they work. Whodathunk? Something that is so basic to all of us chicken keepers has been found to battle joint inflammation and stiffness.

@ronott1, didn't know you had foot problems, knew about the stenosis surgery. I don't know if I hate the foot pain or the back pain the most.
Yes.

Back
Top Bottom