Keeping Chickens When You Have Arthritis.

Pics
My hand strength is really low. I need to get checked out, but I am such a procrastinator and put off medical treatment as long as possible. Which is not helping me as some days I feel like all of my joints are achy and inflamed.
Hand strength is also a symptom of cardio issues. You should get it checked out to see what is up

Hand strength is also a symptom of cardio issues. You should get it checked out to see what is up
I am pretty sure it has to do with my carpal tunnel and some arthritis. I exercise daily and eat well. I know that that doesn't mean that I couldn't have cardio issues. I will call Monday and make an appt. I do not sleep well due to aches and pain. I love my sleep so definitely need to call soon to start getting things taken care of so I can sleep.

I am pretty sure it has to do with my carpal tunnel and some arthritis. I exercise daily and eat well. I know that that doesn't mean that I couldn't have cardio issues. I will call Monday and make an appt. I do not sleep well due to aches and pain. I love my sleep so definitely need to call soon to start getting things taken care of so I can sleep.
It is likely other issues but it is good to check it all out.

Getting more sleep will help

Since I started the MTX I'm sleeping anywhere from 8-10 hours a night. Today was shot day so that meant I slept this afternoon. Starting to feel like a hibernating bear.

I haven't slept well in years, mainly due to joint and back pain so I don't know if I'm being blessed or cursed.

I had my right wrist operated on some 15 years ago for an inflamed ganglion cyst. Doctor found a lot of scar tissue around the cyst and tendon which he stripped away for me. He was puzzled by it, I wasn't. It was the wrist that was affected worse by RF. It''s also a symptom of ankylosing spondylitis.

@Kfults, I don't think you are being gloomy at all. Nothing is worse than feeling like crap day in and day out while everyone around you is out enjoying life and looking at you as if saying 'what's wrong with you, you look great!'I've been lucky so far with the MTX. Been ordered to wear masks when I'm around a lot of people....I've been avoiding people cause I hated wearing masks when I was an OB scrub nurse and hate them to this day...touch of claustrophobia.

I had to step up my MTX a quarter of a cc today. Having a bad flare in my right hand along with new nodules. As for the bales of pine chips, girls, follow the guy's example and get yourself a good folding knife that you can keep in your pocket or a locked knife that you can carry on a belt. I stick one in my pocket every morning as a regular dressing habit. Make sure you keep it sharp so it will slice through the tough plastic they use on those bales. I'm lucky in that the MTX has really helped my grip a lot with the exception of three fingers on my right hand. 7 out of 10 have showed improvement though and along with that so has my grip.

Penny, I like your pallet roost idea.

@oldhenlikesdogs, sending well wishes for a speedy recovery from that second knee surgery.

For storage, Metal garbage cans or heavy duty plastic. There are also totes available. Clear ones let you see what you have in them.
I keep my scratch grains in one can and blended feed in the other. The feed can will hold 150 pounds of feed. All I have to do is dip and dump. So far no rodent damage to the heavy duty plastic can.

Epic Fail!!!
So, I had the bright idea to cover my 12x12 ft run with a tarp because we were getting so much rain and it was so muddy. Layered hay to cover mud and it worked well at first! After a heavy rain, I noticed rain pooling and putting pressure on roof structure ( wood cross braces and hardware cloth) I used a drain device and all was ok - UNTIL yesterday. Major rain storm and I forgot to go set up drain system. I didn’t feel well and had long nap. Last night I went out to get my eggs and found the entire run roof collapsed! Looked like a swimming pool with the tarp still holding the water!
Luckily all chickens safe and snug in barn coop- no one injured in the collapse. I got my husband and got a full dose of I told you so..... you gotta keep up with these things..... enough that I ordered him to the house! This am bright and early I went out to survey damage- wasn’t as bad as it could have been- fixable but a lot of work. My husband clearly didn’t want to help, was rather being a pain in the butt- so I told him My chickens my mistake- I would handle it! He walked off irritated and let me fix it all by myself. OMG, my run is only 3 ft high- so lots of crawling- lots of using my shoulder to raise broken boards while I propped up with supports, lots of lifting 10ft 2x6 boards. I can honestly say my irritation with hubby kept me motivated but when I finished- I realized what kind of shape I was in. Bruised and painful shoulders, swollen and painful knees, elbows and wrists so painful and stiff I couldn’t hold a glass of tea. Took hot bath and finally broke down and took pain pill ( which is very rare) All I can say is pain pill helped and the chicken run is fixed!! Tarp removed!!!! Predator proof again! Best part, hubby can’t throw in my face how he had to “fix” one of my projects for the next 10 years! Prayers for tomorrow morning!

Back
Top Bottom