Keeping Chickens When You Have Arthritis.

Pics
I have shavings too they are packed pretty tight as well. I am using both right now - see which one I like better or see if I like the combo of the two. My coops are smaller it sounds like as I don't use a whole bag at a time.
I have a hard time getting shavings out too. So frustrating. I generally hack at the bag with my hand hoe to break it up a bit.

Last edited:
See my Coop my Main one is a geodesic dome 17 feet in diameter extra heavy duty tarps
are on it.. Knock on wood never lost a bird to predator so far smart enough to not say
never My other two coops are tiny by size but perfect for what is in them one has two rooms each has a window there is screen door the rooms are not large maybe 8 x 10 the one I can stand in it the other room I have to bend at the neck which is very painful the silky live in it and anything they raise the last eggs they hatched for me was marans this time it is the ones I am hatching in the halloween hatch... I use one in theirs 3 in my main coop.. so sorry to have written a book here
The dome coop is pretty cool. Can the chickens roost on the frame inside the coop? Your silky coop is bigger than either of my coops. Someday I might convert the shed to a coop - got to get the hubby on board with that idea. :)

I have a hard time getting shavings out too. So frustrating. I generally hack at the bag with my hand how to break it up a bit.
My hand strength is really low. I need to get checked out, but I am such a procrastinator and put off medical treatment as long as possible. Which is not helping me as some days I feel like all of my joints are achy and inflamed.

The dome coop is pretty cool. Can the chickens roost on the frame inside the coop? Your silky coop is bigger than either of my coops. Someday I might convert the shed to a coop - got to get the hubby on board with that idea. :)

Nope the Son James has made me pallet tables for birds to roost on keeps poop on table I scrape them into a snow shovel with a putty knife no squabbles who roost where my boy sleeps with youngest birds my 6 older girls sleep on the smaller of the two tables

My hand strength is really low. I need to get checked out, but I am such a procrastinator and put off medical treatment as long as possible. Which is not helping me as some days I feel like all of my joints are achy and inflamed.

Please do not put it off make the time for it we are worth it

I don't have good hand strength either these days. I curse a lot at jars of pickles because I can't open them myself. You should definitely get yourself checked out. There are some arthritis like rheumatoid that you don't want to let go. If you have regular arthritis, or even carpal tunnel things like physical therapy and various braces may help you. Things will only get worse from here unfortunately. Finding ways to minimize damage and still get stuff done is important for your physical and emotional health. If only I could go back in time and tell my younger self to not be so hard on this carcass, I would.

Back
Top Bottom