Keeping Chickens When You Have Arthritis.

Pics
I've taken care of enough patients with hip replacements to know what you are talking about, @oldhenlikesdogs.

That's why I was really dismayed when I got the results of my Dexa Scan and learned that I had osteoporosis in my left hip and spine and then adamant that I was going to do the treatment and adjust my activities so I could try and avoid replacement or fracture as long as possible.

I've taken care of enough patients with hip replacements to know what you are talking about, @oldhenlikesdogs.

That's why I was really dismayed when I got the results of my Dexa Scan and learned that I had osteoporosis in my left hip and spine and then adamant that I was going to do the treatment and adjust my activities so I could try and avoid replacement or fracture as long as possible.
That is definitely best. Get as much use out of your original joints as you can.

My father had his knee replaced about 2 years back. He didn't listen to my advice. He wanted his knee replaced so he could go back to comfortably kneeling on the ground. I told him you aren't ever going to want to kneel on a replaced knee. He still did it anyways. He didn't even take any pain relievers before because he didn't like pills, so he wasn't in that much pain. Now he regrets it and he didn't fully commit to the physical therapy afterwards, so now it's worse.

You gotta be at the end of your tolerance to go through that process. Those joint replacements are painful, and are a long haul to full recovery. It isn't a better joint or the same as your original joints, but it's mostly pain free when it's all said and done. Plus sometimes you need a revision, so you don't want to get stuff done too soon.

Well said @oldhenlikesdogs. I'm more concerned with post surgical infections than rehab. I worked a rehab floor as a temporary nurse at a hospital and it was an eye opener as far as seeing hip surgeries with MRSA rolling through.

It's like, if you don't have it when you go in you sure will have it when you come out sort of thing.

I had my 4th Prolia shot on the 7th of July. As usual, not fun. The side effects hit me pretty hard for a month and then start to slowly taper off. Getting organized so I can get everything done at once has become a big goal of mine. Also something I can recommend to all arthritis sufferers who have chickens, is keep a tool box somewhere within easy access to your coop. Hammer, flat and Phillips head screwdrivers, pliers/wire cutters along with an assortment of nails and screws.

Much better to keep some tools and hardware close at hand then to have to make trips back and forth to the house when you are exhausted and not feeling well from a flare.

Hello everyone,
I just finished reading through this entire thread, which caught my eye because I was just dx with arthritis in my right knee last week. I've had it in my hands and low back for a few years. Suddenly this summer every joint aches! I'm 51, but I feel like I'm over 80 first thing in the morning. When our son, DIL & 5 grandkids moved 16 hours away a few years ago my heart just broke and I sort of gave up on life. My hubs got me a puppy and then we got 6 hens and taking care of them keeps me going, because if it were just me alone I'd just stay in bed. My chickens are definitely therapy for me!!
Not only do they keep me moving, but they are great listeners too :)
I've learned several tips from this thread that I need to implement. My main issue with chicken keeping is the heavy feed bags and buckets of water, walking back and forth refilling. I also need to get my chicken supplies organised better. I really appreciate everyone here sharing their love for their chickens even through their physical struggles-its inspiring me to keep going even though the pain. I'm just at the beginning of my journey with arthritis so I'm looking for what might help me. From this thread so far I've noted a few supplements to look into and meds to ask my Doc about.
#chickenpeoplearethebest :love

Well said @oldhenlikesdogs. I'm more concerned with post surgical infections than rehab. I worked a rehab floor as a temporary nurse at a hospital and it was an eye opener as far as seeing hip surgeries with MRSA rolling through.

It's like, if you don't have it when you go in you sure will have it when you come out sort of thing.

I had my 4th Prolia shot on the 7th of July. As usual, not fun. The side effects hit me pretty hard for a month and then start to slowly taper off. Getting organized so I can get everything done at once has become a big goal of mine. Also something I can recommend to all arthritis sufferers who have chickens, is keep a tool box somewhere within easy access to your coop. Hammer, flat and Phillips head screwdrivers, pliers/wire cutters along with an assortment of nails and screws.

Much better to keep some tools and hardware close at hand then to have to make trips back and forth to the house when you are exhausted and not feeling well from a flare.
Do you have tips to avoid MRSA for a joint replacement?

Prolia sounds like it has serious side effects

I have fibromyalgia joint hypermobility osteoarthritis and periphal neuropathy at grand age of 31 lol i unable to get out much so getting chickens was brilliant for me new stance of life dont get me wrong cleaning out etc i get exhausted fast in pain and have ro pop the tramdol but mentally im best ive been in years xxx
Chickens are good for many to raise since they are not the same amount of work as bigger farm animals!

It is good that you have them now

Hello everyone,
I just finished reading through this entire thread, which caught my eye because I was just dx with arthritis in my right knee last week. I've had it in my hands and low back for a few years. Suddenly this summer every joint aches! I'm 51, but I feel like I'm over 80 first thing in the morning. When our son, DIL & 5 grandkids moved 16 hours away a few years ago my heart just broke and I sort of gave up on life. My hubs got me a puppy and then we got 6 hens and taking care of them keeps me going, because if it were just me alone I'd just stay in bed. My chickens are definitely therapy for me!!
I've learned several tips from this thread that I need to implement. My main issue with chicken keeping is the heavy feed bags and buckets of water, walking back and forth refilling. I also need to get my chicken supplies organised better. I really appreciate everyone here sharing their love for their chickens even through their physical struggles-its inspiring me to keep going even though the pain. I'm just at the beginning of my journey with arthritis so I'm looking for what might help me. From this thread so far I've noted a few supplements to look into and meds to ask my Doc about.
I am similar to you with a crushed sciatic nerve that caused nerve damage and food drop. I also have arthritis in my feet and a bit in my hands. I suspect I have arthritis in my left knee now too. Left hip hurts some too.

The knee is the most painful joint now

Do you have tips to avoid MRSA for a joint replacement?

Prolia sounds like it has serious side effects
I tested positive for MRSA before my second knee replacement. After some antibiotics I was clean, and I haven't tested positive since. So out of 5 joint replacement surgeries, one being a revision I only got MRSA once. I didn't even know I had it until they swabbed me for it.

Hello everyone,
I use big, old plastic coffee cans to tote feed in, so I dont have to mess with the 50lb bags. Luckily hubby carries those to our storage area. Also I use cleaned out gallon milk jugs to tote water in. I have bad arthritis in my hands, so this helps me a lot. Hope it might help someone else too.

Back
Top Bottom