Keeping Chicks Warm

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ken facemire, Mar 31, 2009.

1. ken facemire

ken facemire Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Manchester
    I have a hen setting on chicks that are due this monday and am woundering if I need to have a heat lamp for them when they hatch. I live in ohio and today it was 55 degree's tomarrow it is supossed to be 57 degrees they will be exposed to drafts but can be fixed very easly. There is no door on the caged in area but a small opening just big enoough for the hen to get out or the chicks. Will she leave them? The temp for the week is an average of 53 deegree's. Is it ok for the hen to ewt the chick food?

2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I've never had a broody hatch chicks (CONGRATS!!) but since I'm in Ohio too, I'll bump this up and hopefully someone who knows will answer! I keep my chicks in the basement under a heat lamp. Someday I'd like to have a broody hatch...someday...

[​IMG]

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    From what I understand, you don't need to supply any heat if they will be with thier mother, she will take care of them, just make sure to put her with them away from the rest of the flock in a good seperate area.

omran

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    she will do fine on chick food, since they can`t have the layer pellets. And she should provide them with all the warmth they need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by