Keeping dirt chicken run clean?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stinkyshermy, Aug 17, 2016.

1. stinkyshermy

stinkyshermy Just Hatched

Aug 13, 2016
    San Diego
    I am so confused about the best way to keep our dirt run clean....help!

Our chicks are 6ish weeks old, and spend their day in a caged chicken run, then let out it a bigger area 2x a day. Our area is a work in progress, but will stay largely a dirt floor due to it's shaded area.

I have come to realize that I have no idea how to keep their secure area and larger area clean!

For the larger area, I have been raking it every morning, thinking that it would just help keep everything churning and drying out.

In the caged run, it has a dirt bottom, covered with rice hulls and straw. I rake it daily before I put them in, and then clean out the straw\hulls weekly.

But what do I really need to be doing? The ladies are only in the run right now as we still bring them in at night. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Honestly in my opinion there is not much you can do to "clean" it short of just poop scooping the little piles. I gave up years ago and just let the poop return to earth.

One thing you can do is till in lime if you develop a odor problem but I don't think with a few hens and in your climate that will be an issue.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  3. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    use a poop rake (different from the garden rake)--

i think you can find it at wal-mart or tractor supply company

just put the manure in the compost pile

wear a different pair of shoe from walking into the run to prevent from bringing the manure inside the house..

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by