Keeping ducks and chickens together

I was glad to read your message. I have 5 one yr.old hens, going to be adding 5 more babies, and thinking of 3 indian runner babies. Trying to find out if can put them all in brooder cage together and then introduce them into pen with older ones when time is right. I want them to all be together.

I keep my chickens and ducks together with absolutely no issues. Both my chickens and ducks drink from a nipple system. Chickens have a natural instint to peck and something shinny so it was a snap to teach them My ducks followed the chickens lead easily adapted to the nipple water system.

I keep my 4 bantams together with a pekin and black east indian duck and they -love- each other. My big girl (pekin) is over twice the size of the BEI and bantams and they love to cuddle up to her at night or on cold days.

I don't keep a pond, but I have a large metal waterer (and gold gear box from a tractor) and I feed them all the same food. The only issue with ducks is they drink a LOT of water, so I fill it often. The chickens don't mind the messy ducks, I'm pretty sure they don't even know they're a different animal.

:)

All of my birds.....chickens, ducks, geese... live together. They have three rooms in a small barn. At night they choose which of the rooms they want to go in for the night.... usually it is the same room each night, but not always. This spring a black silkie bantam hen laid one egg in the nest of a Moscovy duck. They sat together on the nest... I just let it be. The chick hatched... Silkie mama took her out each day to feed and scratch here and there while Mama Muscovy continued to sit. Silkie brought her chick back to the nest she shared with Muscovy mama each night. In a few days two of the Muscovy eggs hatched... but still more to hatch. One day those two ducklings followed Silkie mama and her chick out of the duck house. I just happen to be up there and saw the ducklings running around as though they were lost. Poor babies. But what followed next was so amazing to me. I cornered one of the ducklings to bring it back in, while I was busy Silkie mama brought the other duckling back to its mama. I was so amazed. So amazed at the intelligence of these birds. After that "adventure" those two ducklings stayed with mama Muscovy until the other ducklings hatched. She had 6 in all. Each night Silkie mama and her one chick along with Muscovy mama and her 6 ducklings continued to return the the nest area. Sorry to say the little chick "had an accident" (fell into a water container) but until then they all bedded down together each night. So cute.. so amazing.

I often wish I had a movie camera I could carry with me each day. I could build a movie...as such... by recording the actions and interactions. If I was so talented I would put words with it as though the birds were speaking... I can see and imagine this...but it's out of reach at this time in my life. In a few years I will hit the "80" mark. But... all in all I totally enjoy my little poultry hobby. So many cute and intelligent happenings in their world.

yes I have rouen/peking ducks and rir chicks together they get along cause there babies but the ducks are very messy ...cant wait to go outside in coop..but love them

I had a drake and an indian runner when i was younger, those two were inseperable and her eggs were delicious. We had the drake from an egg someone gave us some 1/2 doz fertilized duck eggs and he was the only one to hatch so thought he should have a friend so a friend of the family gave us an indian runner duckling same age and they got on perfectly until they decided to go for a walk and she got hit by a car :( unfortunately never saw him again but always remember he used to sit on my shoulder like a parrott.

I am thinking of getting a couple of indian runners when i get my new flock of hens next year.

Love to hear how you get on.

I have a year old pekin and a four month roun mix..since they didn't "grow up" together can I put them in the cage for night time only??? My ducks are both female.

I have 12 khaki campbell and I have 12 buffs and 6 comets all the birds love each other. They were all raised from day one together and at night the chickens rarely use the roost the cuddle with the ducks! I don't know about you but my birds can't stand to live without each other

Back
Top Bottom