Keeping Ducks in the Winter?

Cheyen

Songster
6 Years
Sep 21, 2013
Richmond, VA
This morning my sister checked on her little call ducks, only to find that one of them had vanished! She was so upset! The duck seems to have flown off, as there was no sign of a struggle. I guess what I'm getting at is... do domesticated ducks fly south for the winter if their wings aren't clipped? I have several of my own ducks, and would be devastated if any of them flew off! What do I need to do to ensure the safety of my ducks this winter?

This morning my sister checked on her little call ducks, only to find that one of them had vanished! She was so upset! The duck seems to have flown off, as there was no sign of a struggle. I guess what I'm getting at is... do domesticated ducks fly south for the winter if their wings aren't clipped? I have several of my own ducks, and would be devastated if any of them flew off! What do I need to do to ensure the safety of my ducks this winter?

Call ducks fly very well as do some of the other breeds that are domesticated including Muscovy's I think those that keep calls usually keep something over the pen to prevent them from flying off. I clip one wing on my Scovy's. Some prefer not too but way too many predators for them to be flying down to the river. What breed of ducks do you have? also some preds don't leave a calling card and take ducks with out leaving so much as a feather, Does she lock them up at night in a secure building?

Call ducks fly very well as do some of the other breeds that are domesticated including Muscovy's I think those that keep calls usually keep something over the pen to prevent them from flying off. I clip one wing on my Scovy's. Some prefer not too but way too many predators for them to be flying down to the river. What breed of ducks do you have? also some preds don't leave a calling card and take ducks with out leaving so much as a feather, Does she lock them up at night in a secure building?

As far as I know they're quite well behaved, and are allowed to free range. Don't know if she clips or not, but I'm pretty sure they've got a little house to sleep in at night. I have four ducks- two appleyards and two cayugas.

As far as I know they're quite well behaved, and are allowed to free range. Don't know if she clips or not, but I'm pretty sure they've got a little house to sleep in at night. I have four ducks- two appleyards and two cayugas.
They might be able to fly seems I remember someone talking about their Appleyards and Cayugas flying. It is surprising how many domestic ducks can fly. I remember someone talking about their Rouen flying and I have never heard of one flying just the way they are built seems it would be rather difficult.

Doing winter months as we all know predators are busy looking for an easy meal whether they are 4 legged or flying they will take advantage of out flocks if given the chance, We need to take a good look at fencing, housing and cover, make sure fencing is secure, one small breach can let in a mink or weasel all they need is 1". Housing make sure all opening are covered with 1/2" hardware cloth to keep these same preds out, and if ducks are in a pen make sure hardware cloth is from ground up at least 2-3 ft from bottom to keep Raccoons from reaching in and grabbing. and something over top to keep out flying preds. My flock forages over a pretty large fenced in area so it's not covered but there are lots of trees and shrubs to get under if a hawk flies over. I have seen them do this. Now once the leaves are off the trees they won't be as secure so they will have to really be cautious but hopefully something as big as a hawk would have a hard time flying in here since we have so many huge trees. At night all birds need to be locked up in secure housing with nice dry bedding, and lots of air flow for the health of the flock I have a link to ventilation if anyone is interested. Never close up poultry of any kind in a house without ventilations it's a death sentence for them. Make sure all feed is put up for the night so as to not attract preds.

I have a blue Swedish that flys to a pond a mile away when he gets scared. He is easy to catch, so I go pick him up and bring him home.

Back
Top Bottom