Keeping eggs from rolling around during the hatch??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bigdog, Apr 4, 2008.

1. bigdog

bigdog Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    It seems that after the1st chicks hatch they bump into the other eggs as they walk around inside the incubator causing them to roll around. Does this "rolling" cause those yet to hatch to lose their orientation and thus disrupt the hatching? If so is there a solution?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

There are some of us who have started setting the eggs in egg cartons for the hatch with good results. They don't get rolled all over the place that way.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I find it helps the others to get out, my last hatch was like being in a bowling alley, all the chicks hatched but one and it had died somewhere along day 14 and I had not noticed when candling.......

4. bigdog

bigdog Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Do I just transfer them to a paper egg cartons the same way they were in the auto turner, fat end up? Can I use the styrene ones?

Thanks for the input!!

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've never used this method but it is Big end up thats where the Air Cell is and I have seen pics of using both kinds of cartons...you might want to look at some of the posts below this one...this page and beyond about doing it this way....

6. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    I take the chicks that have hatched and put them in a small shallow cardboad box w/ a paper towel in the bottom and put it in the corner of the bator. that way they can dry w/o bothering the others

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by