Keeping eggs from rolling around during the hatch??

bigdog

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 8, 2008
Rochester, NY
It seems that after the1st chicks hatch they bump into the other eggs as they walk around inside the incubator causing them to roll around. Does this "rolling" cause those yet to hatch to lose their orientation and thus disrupt the hatching? If so is there a solution?

I find it helps the others to get out, my last hatch was like being in a bowling alley, all the chicks hatched but one and it had died somewhere along day 14 and I had not noticed when candling.......

Do I just transfer them to a paper egg cartons the same way they were in the auto turner, fat end up? Can I use the styrene ones?

Thanks for the input!!

I've never used this method but it is Big end up thats where the Air Cell is and I have seen pics of using both kinds of cartons...you might want to look at some of the posts below this one...this page and beyond about doing it this way....

I take the chicks that have hatched and put them in a small shallow cardboad box w/ a paper towel in the bottom and put it in the corner of the bator. that way they can dry w/o bothering the others

Back
Top Bottom