Keeping feathers white for the show?

Amelise

Songster
Sep 20, 2020
Southern U.S
I have a pullet that will be a hen in October, and I’m also expecting her first big molt this fall. She has splash coloration, so she’s mostly white. Her white feathers have a orangish yellow tinge, which I know happens from a free ranging when they eat grass. Anyway, I was wondering if I’ll just have to keep her inside after or during her molt so that her feathers stay white? The show is in January, I believe. I would love to let her free range until the show, but I think that might ruin her feather color. What would you do to keep feathers in condition after the first molt before the show?

I have a pullet that will be a hen in October, and I’m also expecting her first big molt this fall. She has splash coloration, so she’s mostly white. Her white feathers have a orangish yellow tinge, which I know happens from a free ranging when they eat grass. Anyway, I was wondering if I’ll just have to keep her inside after or during her molt so that her feathers stay white? The show is in January, I believe. I would love to let her free range until the show, but I think that might ruin her feather color. What would you do to keep feathers in condition after the first molt before the show?
Yeah, if you want the white to stay crisp, your best bet is a fully covered run until after the show. It’s not just from the feed, the sun yellows white feathers too. White birds are tough for showing!

Back
Top Bottom