keeping food and water from spilling in the brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ebonykawai, Apr 25, 2008.

1. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I see quite a few posts about waterers tipping over and such, so I thought I'd share my own solution.

[​IMG]

I use velcro on the bottom of the waterers and feeders and attach them to either wood blocks or bricks. I've never yet had anything spill, it works quite well. [​IMG]

Good luck!

2. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I love the way the bricks are done...looks like it helps to keep the bedding out of the waterer. I have mine on a wood block..then a brick but this looks like a much nicer solution.

3. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, these are pretty thick and a bit wider than the base of the waterer. I don't get many shavings in at all. I was always paranoid about the waterers tipping while I was at work so I did the velcro. It's very secure. Velcro sure is strong, lol!

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    That is brilliant-looking... I am starting to get organized for chicks coming in a little over a week and I definitely see myself digging out some velcro and spare pavers. Thanks for posting this!

Pat

5. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    What a great idea!! I love the idea of the velcro. And it's tough to keep the bedding out of the waterers.

Thanks for posting! [​IMG]

6. MiaPia

MiaPia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    That is a brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing!

7. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    VELCRO....HHMMM......WONDER IF THIS WILL HELP KEEP THE CHICKS FROM FLYING OUT OF THE BROODER. [​IMG] (just kidding)

8. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice- I think I'll try that this weekend.

9. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    I use a brick under the water and I think that they spill it more so I switched to the glass jar and not plastic, but I do like the idea of the velcro. I haven't had them spill it with the brick and glass jar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by