Keeping fox or cat away

jennerchick

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 8, 2014
My six chickens had run of my one acre, high fenced orchard and love free ranging all day. In the last week, something has gotten 2 of my chickens during the afternoon, broad daylight and dragged them UNDER the fence. I suspect either a cat or a fox. My chickens are miserable being locked up in coop all day, even though its 300 square feet. Any ideas of how to keep them away during day time?

welcome-byc.gif
Sorry for the circumstances. Take a day off and wait with a loaded shotgun or place a snare where the predator is entering/exiting your run.

So sorry about your flock. Yes, you need to hang around and figure out what is doing this. You could do a live trapping or as Sourland stated, shoot the thing. Hopefully nothing moves in to take it's place.

You can also do supervised free ranging. I can't let my birds out without complete supervision due to all the predators lurking and flying everywhere. I just let them out and work around the yard for an hour while the birds get some exercise. I make several head counts too during this time. If I have more time, I might get them out again later in the day for the same time.

Oh, and welcome to BYC!!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom